Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello. The front hitch cover for my 2002 Outback LL Bean is missing. I ordered this one after confirming with the seller that it should fit. The connectors didn't line up so I returned that part. I am now scratching my head. Has anybody else experienced this problem or have an idea of where I might find a part that will fit?
IMG_3CACCF889371-1.jpeg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think this is not the original bumper and that is why the OEM cover wouldn’t fit.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I was wondering what was supposed to fit there. My 02 Bean is also missing this plastic part and a part of the white styrofoam inner bumper is showing. But my bumper is different than the photo here.

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
479 Posts
Yep, the bumper changed slightly around 2002. Look it up by the VIN (partsouq.com and parts.subaru.com both have VIN-specific parts lookups).

Note, it will not come painted. If you have a UPull-style junkyard near you, you can probably get a painted one for a song.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Interesting. When I search by VIN both of those sources indicated that the part number from the Amazon link above is correct.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you, Numbchux. I pulled up the part for a 2003 Subaru Legacy Outback and, to the eye, it looks like it will fit (whereas the 2002 part I ordered before wasn't even close). My gut says at some point someone put a 2003-04 bumper on my car and that is why the part that is supposed to fit won't.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I received the 03-04 part today and it fits. My best guess is that at some point a previous owner put an 03-04 bumper on my 2002 Outback and that's what caused the confusion. Thanks for the help!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts