Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The side blocks don't look bad, but the center support is drooping by about an inch.

I pulled down on it all, it will pull down a little more, so I don't think it's metal on metal, and therefore is not the source of my pinion-noise (normal noise telegraphed metel-metal to the body).

Do you have to pull the header to change the mounts, or just the 1st section after the header?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,462 Posts
I can't tell from the pictures, is the rubber portion of the mount compressed?

The center bolt on this mount is a "safety" of sorts. In the event the transmission mount rubber rips or fails, the center bolt stops the transmission from hopping beyond the reach of the center bolt. Its attached to the upper metal part of the mount. The two outer bolts, the ones that are torqued tight, are attached to the lower metal portion.

Unless the rubber of the mount is compressed severely, you can reuse it.

Kind of a dumb question, but weren't you pulling the transmission out and swapping it?

If you want to change the mount, you don't need to pull the exhaust. Just loose the lower bolts, remove the crossmember with the transmission supported and then remove the 4 upper bolts that attach it to the transmission. Do the reverse to install. A new mount from Subaru is about $45, I think. I can't recall at the moment what I paid for mine.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,946 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm just scoping out all the possibilities, such as I'm hearing noise caused by the trans sagging and hitting the crossmember.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
It looks like it is definitely sagging. To say a rubber mount from a 10 year old car is good or bad is tough to say. I would venture a guess that it is worn out.

To replace it you do need to disconnect the exhaust from the engine. You only need to drop it a few inches to get the clearance. Have some exhaust manifold gaskets on hand.

If you are in the mood for a new mount I happen to have a brand new OEM one. I think they are $45 new +tax + shipping from online dealer. I would be willing to sell mine for less...lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts