Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
About a month ago it started misfiring under load. It didn't over heat and the oil/coolant looked ok. Coolant was a weird color, but it was like that before. I figured it was just dirty from before and needed to be flushed a few times. I replaced the wires and plugs, seemed to be fine. Today it was misfiring, got codes p0301, p0302, and p0303. Checked coolant and it has bubbles coming up. So I need to do something about this.

Either do the heads on the original motor and reinstall it.

Or ???

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So I just got the old/original engine loaded into the back of the Baja. It's running really rough. I have been riding my bike to and from work, and I can't keep doing it. I've got my fingers crossed that it makes it to the engine shop, my work, then back home.

I'm hoping for either a basic rebuild or just to have the heads done. Unfortunately I can't wait till April when I'll have more time. I wanted to do an h6 swap, but that won't happen now.

The place I got the jdm engine from basically told me to go F myself. They also said I can buy another engine at the regular price - they didn't even offer a discount.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Went to the scrap yard today. Picked up black leather seats, crank and cam pulley, intake, wood trim, mats, and little tweeters that go on the side mirror trim. I should have the engine rebuilt by the end of the week. I just need to supply the shop with the parts that were missing.

I thought the lower leather on the seats would be the same, but it's not. So I installed the driver seat. Once the original seat was out, I brought to my basement and took it apart. Going to bring it to an upholstery shop this week to get fixed.

This car has been getting lots of love. It'll be restored by the time I'm done with it.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I've done about 200miles on the rebuilt motor and it seems to be running great. It has a like a lifter noise, like a tractor motor, but I assume that it probably just needs to be broken in. Other than that, it has tons of power. A huge difference. I can actually squeal the tires. The turn signal switch is giving me problems again, it doesn't work to signal right. I'll probably get another one from a scrap yard this Saturday.

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I have a 2003 Baja and I'm thinking about replacing the 2.5 L motor with a 2.0 L, just like you did. I have replaced the head gasket once, and it only lasted about 40,000 miles and went again. Can you tell me where you purchased your 2.0 L from; would like to avoid them. Thank you Penny

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Penny, I'm glad you didn't go the 2.0 route. I still have the one I used for 2 months before the head gasket went. It's on a stand in my garage. I plan on doing the gaskets and either selling it or ?? I don't know, putting it a Bug/van?. It was a good motor, but not a direct swap. I would have been happy with it if it lasted a bit longer, but in the end wasn't worth it. It definitely isn't worth it if you're paying someone else to do it. I could swap the engine myself at home in a day.

I have lots of updates on my Baja that I'll post soon. I'm currently in the process of changing the shocks, wheel bearings, and adding a lift. Finished the rear last night, what a pita!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Pictures of 2" lift block and new KYB Excel-G (same as GR-2?). I don't know if this is correct, but I made sure the end of the spring on the bottom faced the middle/inside. I don't know if the orientation makes a difference, other than right side up. It was difficult and a bit sketchy trying to get the bottom bolt of the strut to line up with the lower control arm. The strut was like 3" lower, because of the 2" lift block. I had to disconnect the sway bar, use leverage to lower the a-arm, and compress the spring while using a jack to lift the bottom of the shock.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,565 Posts
I installed OEM struts on our 06 with an ADF 2" lift and had the same issue you're running into. It was way harder than it typically is getting the arm down far enough to line up with the struts and shocks the knuckle.

I didn't disconnect anything else, just had a friend stand on the knuckle while I pushed the bolt though. I don't think it could be done alone without some serious leverage.

Good job.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts