Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,759 Posts
what I would do: go to a pick and pull and walk up to a 2001-2002 legacy outback H4 or legacy H4,

2000 "can" work too,...but a strange ranger with these particular parts. (I would NOT pick off one for this project)

and pull the engine and o2 sensor wires, and o2 sensors off it. (check to be sure the sensors are "denso" or subaru OEM)

rock auto has the sensors: densos run about $90 for the front and $75 for the rear. (densos match the OEM spec, and don't waste gas. ...and today maybe the OEM maker.). pick and pull used might be $10 each = nice as a means to get the car actually running.
but new ones would be on a list to buy in the future. (and the things rust into the exhaust so, if you live in a salty area,...picking them can be a pain in the yards.

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
Seems like the proper connection would only be on the manual, not the automatic, right?
Yes, the 2001 with automatic has yet a different sensor and it has a 6-wire connector, so it wouldn't match. You would need to find an Outback or Legacy with MT to pull the two sensors.

In terms of the EGR, should the plate be aluminum or steel? I would probably have to make a gasket for it as well? For the plugs, just find the right sizes bolts and stick them in?
This is @eagleeye 's bailiwick [been on this all the way] but . . . on the 2003 . . .

For the two threaded holes for the pipe that is shown in post #18 above, a pair of matching plugs should do it. The pipe goes from a threaded hole in the back of the left (driver) side head, to a corresponding threaded hole in the back of the intake manifold cylinder #4 runner.

For the plugs, just find the right sizes bolts and stick them in?
Would have to check the thread pitch. Probably metric, and, possible pipe thread rather that straight bolt so a pipe thread plug might be needed.

The EGR valve is mounted on the back of the intake manifold, with two bolts. There's two openings in the valve and the manifold. These would have to be blocked to prevent vacuum leaks at the manifold. I don't think it would matter whether the plate is aluminum or steel, although aluminum would avoid potential rusting. The intake manifold is aluminum. The same gasket as for the EGR valve might be used to seal the plate.

Here's the shape of the mounting side of the EGR valve.

(More info, pics, about the EGR valve at: Subaru electronic EGR valve, how it's made, works, and might be tested )

·
Registered
17,181 Posts
Will O2 sensors work off of a Forester for any years?
Typical question when visiting a u-pull yard. I understand. But I don't know off-hand. I'd suggest the Denso site linked above (Find My Part ), fill in the cars being considered, select Sensors, Air Fuel Ratio (it also checks off Oxygen Sensors automatically), and then compare the listed Denso sensors to the ones for your 2001 MT.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts