Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HELP! Do I keep my 2003 OB Wagon H6 3.0?

My first Subaru, purchased in October for 9K with 92,000 miles from a dealer (not Subaru). Looks great, runs great, no prior accidents, we love it - but - has a ticking sound coming from the engine/right front. Was told by independent mechanic it could be a bad tensioner on the timing chain and should be addressed! Back to the dealer, who advised putting in heavy gauge oil, drive 500 miles, repeat and sound should go away.

Did this, (over the winter) but ticking sound continued. In the meantime, fuel pump failed in November and was replaced w/o charge by dealer. Ticking noise got worse so went to a Subaru dealer in February who found the wrong size serpentine belt had been installed which destroyed alternator, pulleys and belts. Back to original dealer who replaced at n/c. A week later, serpentine belt shredded. Back to Subaru dealer who said new alternator was wrong size! Back to original dealer for replacement at n/c.

Ticking noise continues, so yesterday I took it back to the Subaru dealer who said the sound was most likely an issue with timing chain tensioner and will cost $1500 to fix. ($400 just to properly diagnose) I also replaced two pulleys that were going bad for $180.

I relayed this to the original dealer they said I could bring the car back and trade it in for something comparable - that the car was old and obviously starting to need major repairs, and to get rid of it.

So my question is this: I now have a wagon (94,000+ miles) with a new fuel pump, new alternator, belts and pulleys that might need $1500 of work...should I trade this in for something similar or spend the $ to determine the source of the ticking sound/and if needed, repair?

It's probably my last chance to get anything out of the dealer.

Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
The chain doesn't usually tick when there's a problem, usually rattles and/or drags against the cover.

·
Registered
Car: 2008 Tribeca, 2010 LGT, Sold: 2005 XT Limited
2,926 Posts
The dealer is offering that because he will make money on the deal. I would stick with what you have. Try to find a good indep mech that you trust, and have them truely diagnose it. Heck, sales tax alone on the new vehical could come close to the cost of fixing tensioner by an indep (not at dealer!).

Tom

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice - I guess it was I was sensing...new at this and hate that I can't trust those sales guys! I am taking the car into a mechanic in my neighborhood that a lot of peopple like and who works on older subarus. Keep my fingers crossed!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay - back from the indep mechanic who advises not to do anything - that the 'ticking' sound isn't worrisome to him. He used a stethoscope and ran the car for 4 hours in his garage and felt the noise was minimal. Did say to get rid of the car if it gets 'really, really' loud... I guess that's what I'll do!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts