Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
To me, it's really obvious that my 2004 H6 would benefit from another gear. Because it's a four-speed, it goes up to 45 or so in 1st if memory serves correctly...that takes a huge bite out of off-the-line performance.
45mph in 1st seems a bit high for the 4EAT. The numbers I've seen say that it can go up into the mid-30s though. Either way, it isn't exactly geared for off-the-line performance.

Honestly, I find the 3rd->4th gear shift in drive more annoying. Nothing says "fun" like the transmission dropping into 4th while you are accelerating to meet traffic, and suddenly you aren't accelerating anymore. Sure I can put it into '3' and then drop into 'D' when I'm done accelerating (which I do), but it just feels like a giant gap is there in terms of gearing.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
5eat use CAN BUS system or something like that, swaping it in physically is easy but figuring out electronics will be a nightmare. iirc the 5th in 5eat is the same as 4th in 4eat so its not a taller gear just an extra gear in between. Basically no point.
An extra gear in between is exactly what the 4EAT is missing, IMO.

The electronics may still make it infeasible though.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts