Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
01 OB LTD sedan 2.5L 276k, 1983 honda v45 sabre, 43k
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again, it's been a while. Need help with a head scratcher! 2003 obw base model 2.5 automatic. I have owned the car less than a year and have replace front axles and wheel bearings and brakes, radiator. 5 days ago I removed the rear driver side lock motor and ordered another one so it is currently unhooked. I have not done any other work electrical or mechanical in probably a month.

Wife came home last night and called me out of the house to tell me the car was making a funny noise. Here is it in a nutshell. When the car was put into park or neutral, it sounded like the starter was trying to engage. In any other gear everything worked normal, reverse and forward. I even drove it down the road and back and everything seemed fine. I could turn the key off in any gear position and it would have no effect whatsoever, the engine stayed running. At one point I even put it in park with the starter making noise and turn the key off and remove the key and the engine stayed running and all the lights we're on! Turning the key off had no effect whatsoever. I eventually managed to block the wheel and get out of the car with it running in gear, and remove the negative battery cable, the car ran for a few seconds, developed a slight Miss and died. I reinstalled the negative battery cable and now everything works normally!!!!!!!!!!!! It has at times when you turn the key to the start position, sometimes it would hesitate or you would have to hit it twice to engage the starter, also when the key is on for 3 to 5 Seconds all the doors lock. And when you turn the car off all the doors unlock. It has recently started intermittently locking the doors as it is being driven down the road, but it does not do that all the time either.

I am short on vehicles currently, would appreciate any help I can get on this. I did a search and could not find anyone that had posted anything similar. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
01 OB LTD sedan 2.5L 276k, 1983 honda v45 sabre, 43k
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1 Lucky Texan you called it! Pulled the main fuse and the heavy wires off the back of the control box for remote start and doors immediately unlocked. The doors were apparently set to lock immediately after turning the key on, it was very easy to start the car and get out and close the door and lock yourself out. I don't know if I have enough disconnected to stop the other problem. But I will tested several times over the holiday. Thank you much, you are awesome!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts