Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback Wagon 4cyl/5spd
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm ready to replace the original battery on my 2003 Outback. Sounded a bit weak during the colder days of last winter, so after almost 10 years, I think I'm ready to replace before the colder weather hits.

Original battery is a Group 85 size. Most of the replacement battery options show a Group 35 or 26R or 75 as the replacement for the car. In fact, I don't find any source showing a Group 85 replacement battery.

I'm sure others have been through this. I haven't looked at battery size across these groups to see if there is much difference. Any consensus on a replacement battery for these Outbacks?

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,277 Posts
I have a group 35 in mine.

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,362 Posts
Group 35 is a generic replacement size meant to be used in place of several other similar sizes- it helps keep prices down because they fit a lot more cars.

They fit and work just fine in outbacks.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Does look like 35 is the most common replacement. Same LxW, a bit more height that what I have now, but that doesn't seem to be an issue. A 26R seems to be offered as a lower cost alternative. Slightly smaller and lower CCA.

I also called the local Subaru dealer to see what he had. I could get the battery for free using a $100 Subaru buck. He's got one, 36/84 month warranty, $99, not sure on the sizing. I think I will stop by and take a look and just might get that one. If not, I think I'm heading to Walmart for an Everstart Maxx 35-N for the same price.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,277 Posts
The Maxx 35N is what I have. Got it in Dec 2010, no problems to report.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Stopped by the Subaru dealer this morning and went with the Subaru replacement for $99. My cost was $7 after using a $100 Subaru bucks. Parts guy said they were Interstate batteries. Not sure on the group size. It looks to be an exact replacement size wise from the original which was group size 85. It's 550 CCA comes with a 30 month/85 month warranty.Original battery went 9+ years and it's unlikely I'll be keeping the car for another 9 years, so hopefully this the first and only replacement battery I'll be buying.:29:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts