Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have an 03 Outback, 4 cylinder. Had a bit of a noisy exhaust since i got it a couple of years ago. I have gone thru and replaced the gaskets between the exhaust manifold and engine(were corroding) and the catalytic converters(was told by shop they were bad). The car is still pretty loud, but has definitely quieted up some. The last place I've noticed an exhaust leak is where the rear catalytic and exhaust pipe connect, so I put a couple of new spring bolts on the connection thinking the springs had lost their springiness. The gap between the pipes is definitely smaller, but is still there. The noise persists and only a portion of the exhaust is making it all the way thru the muffler. Looking at the Haynes repair manual, it does not look like any gasket is supposed to be in this connection. As a last ditch, I put some instant weld exhaust patch around the gap of the connecting pipes, but due to the nature of the spring bolts, the movement of the pipes quickly blew out the patch.

Is there a gasket that I am missing? Why will these pipes not completely attach w/o leaving a gap? Thank you for any help!

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
860 Posts
There should be doughnut gasket there. On yours the gasket may be missing, and could be the reason your exhaust is loud. Subaru dealer should have them in stock.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,804 Posts
When you take out the spring bolts and drop the pipe, look inside the pipe going towards the muffler for it. The flange edges can get ground down, and what's left gets pushed downwind and becomes a partial obstruction.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts