Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback H6 LL. Bean
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 03 Subaru Outback H-6 LL Bean with 65000 miles that has been well maintained. One day, I tried to start it and it would crank but not turn over. I just had a new fuel pump installed but the mechanic called and said that it still won't start but again cranks but doesn't turn over. Does anyone have a suggestion about what to look for next before I spend a fortune? Thanks, Bill

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,927 Posts
Does it have fuel pressure?

Does the mechanic still have the old pump?
(someone here might want to buy it for parts)

Not clear on the event sequence-
- did not start
- new fuel pump
- still won't start

what was the diagnostic test that suggested a new fuel pump was required?

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
I have a 03 Subaru Outback H-6 LL Bean with 65000 miles that has been well maintained. One day, I tried to start it and it would crank but not turn over. I just had a new fuel pump installed but the mechanic called and said that it still won't start but again cranks but doesn't turn over. Does anyone have a suggestion about what to look for next before I spend a fortune? Thanks, Bill
Okay, I'm confused. Crank but no Turn Over. Won't start, cranks but doesn't turn over.

Its a no start but the engine will turn over? Getting ignition signal from the CKP?

I would look for another mechanic. I doubt the fuel pump was bad at 65,000 miles. There is another issue he can't find and apparently doesn't know Subarus very well.

It may be that your pump did quit and he neglected to plug in the harnesses when he put everything in. It happens. Could also be he replaced the wrong pump. He may have not gotten the seal at the top of the pump in place.

Did anyone check the fuse or relay? Actually, all you need to do is check that you have battery power at the relay and that confirms a good fuse. Then you have to check that you get battery power from the ignition on a crank cycle. Or just hotwire the pump from the relay and see if you get fuel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts