Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
1,142 Posts
BMW X3s or X5s were having corrosion of electrical connections after about 2-3 years old. The point is that this issue can and does happen.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Bench test the new alternator, before the install- and after the removal. If 14 (!!) alternators were "bad"-- how were they bad, were they bench tested after removing? Were they faulty mechanically (bearings/rotors), or electrically (voltage regulator). Don't trust people (mechanics) telling you that the alternator is "bad". Also alternator install and removal is pretty simple. Find and go to an alternator company-- a place that specializes in alternator rebuilds and electrical parts for some guidance. An house electrician may not necessarily understand the car electrical charging system. Good luck hope this keeps you from getting ripped off.

·
Registered
'17 OB 3.6R Touring [ex-'09 OB Ltd. (2009-16); ex-'01 Audi A6 Avant (2001-2009)]; '14 Impreza Sport Premium
923 Posts
Why do you still own this? You need a tech and a psychologist imo. :)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
14 Failures is enough to consider there is something wrong with the vehicle. There are a number of good suggestions posted here but I will suggest another one. Track down the previous owner. Once found ask the important questions.

If this were my vehicle I would find every electrical ground on the vehicle the disconnect the ground and remove all surface contaminations down to the bright metals at the contact points and replace connectors/parts where prudent . Reinstall the connections then dab some zinc chromate primer to protect the connections. I know that zinc chromate primer is used on aluminum in some aircraft assemblies and I read it is used on some steel in boats. Then install a new DENSO alternator. I choose DENSO for a number of reasons, but for one they are used on the high volume Toyota brand which is known for reliability.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,322 Posts
does the car have any aftermarket electrical accessories like music amplifiers, HID headlights, dual batteries, LED instrument cluster lights, or CB radios or ???

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
does the car have any aftermarket electrical accessories like music amplifiers, HID headlights, dual batteries, LED instrument cluster lights, or CB radios or ???
Original, #1, says "It has the factory stereo and no other aftermarket enhancements, so I know it's not a poor wiring install."

·
Registered
28 Posts
Where is the voltage regulation on a Sub Outback?-- is it inside the alt or coming from the ECU? The ECU in a Chrysler T&C regulates the alternator voltage (stupid idiot design) -- I recently had to rig/wire an external voltage regulator to bypass the faulty ECU regulation in that model car.-- no voltage to battery coming from perfectly good (new) alternator. (Same type of problem-- owners going through many alternators and batteries-- never fixing the problem).

If it is a problem outside of the alternator itself, the brand of the alternator is not a predictor of if it will last-- depending on the "reason" that these are going bad, A factory or "DENSO" Alt costs a lot more than a generic rebuilt or autozone or Carquest alt. The advantage of the Autozone/Carquest alt is it is cheap and accessible for returns (no stealer dealer involved)- and you can get a "lifetime warranty"-- which the OEM or Denso do not come with. Best practice to save yourself heartache is to have a alternator shop bench test it before putting it in (autozone and advance can do it before you buy it). Or take the "bad" alternator(s) and have it confirmed bad- will help figure out the problem.

OP, there should be no reason that you are having 14 alternator replacements without a cause-- again how are these "going bad" specifically, were they tested after they were pronounced bad?. Don't trust the dealer or mechanics-- I suspect they have marked you for a sucker. Buy a cheap multimeter, if you can measure >13 volts across the battery terminals with the engine on, your alternator is fine. (Unless it is a voltage regulation problem ^^^) Going through 2 faulty batteries is more likely. Good luck. Autozone/Advance/oreillies can do battery and alternator testing.

·
Registered
18,847 Posts
Where is the voltage regulation on a Sub Outback?-- is it inside the alt or coming from the ECU?
In that 2003 the alternator has its own internal regulator. However, IF the car has the H6 engine, there is also limited control by the ECM. That's why there are questions asking for more details about the car, such as the engine.

The OP has not logged in since posting six days ago . . . .

21 - 29 of 29 Posts