Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Legacy Outback wagon base.
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2003 Subaru Outback with 208,000 miles. This car has been very well maintained. I am however having an intermittent idling issue. 90% or more of the time the car runs, drives, and idles perfectly. Intermittently - only about 10% of the time or less, the cars does not want to idle. It does still run and drive fine even when experiencing this condition (it just takes two feet to keep it running while stopped). Also for no apparent reason it will "fix itself" and will idle normally. No set pattern, temperature, condition, etc... Again: VERY INTERMITTENT. Any ideas/help? This is my first Subaru - so far, I REALLY like the car.

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Premium 6mt, Twilight Blue
2,378 Posts
When it stalls, does it throw any codes? (CEL comes on)

Without a code, any potential solution is a WAG; but it *COULD* be a dirty MAF sensor, which is a pretty easy thing to at least check/rectify. Get some CRC and clean it; it's located on the air intake, probably by two screws.

Also could be dirty throttle body, air control valve, and so on.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The plug wires were new 20k miles ago. Thanks!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
as ao said, there are many guesses of stuff you could try.

if you're game, we could list some, but a CEL or stored 'pending' code might at least point to a system that is out of tolerance. AutoZone or similar places should be able to scan for pending codes at no charge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When it stalls, does it throw any codes? (CEL comes on)

Without a code, any potential solution is a WAG; but it *COULD* be a dirty MAF sensor, which is a pretty easy thing to at least check/rectify. Get some CRC and clean it; it's located on the air intake, probably by two screws.

Also could be dirty throttle body, air control valve, and so on.
Thank you again for your response. It eventually had an intermittent AT Temp light when idling rough. I had the AT Fluid flushed/changed: PROBLEM SOLVED. Had one low idle code 0506; after the fluid replacement, reset that code, been driving several days - RUNS PERFECTLY!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts