Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Subaru Outback SW. The rear defogger is not working. Furthermore, when I push the defogger switch, I measure no voltage at the rear defogger grid positive connector (on the passenger side).

1) All fuses are fine (under dash and in engine compartment)

2) the defogger switch is fine.

3) the rear window grid is fine.

4) when I depress the defogger switch, I hear a "click" so I'm guessing that power is getting to the relay (which may/may not) be working?

5) the section of wire leading to the defogger positive terminal that passes from the rear of the car to the tailgate is fine (from other posts, this seems an often problem). I didn't check the "negative" wire passing from car body to tailgate, but actually disconnected the negative grid terminal wire, and connected a "substitute" grounded wire to the negative grid terminal. Then, I depressed the fogger switch (i.e., applied voltage to grid) - and still no voltage to grid.

Here's where I could use some advice from the experts....

1) when I remove the fuse from the engine compartment, and depress the defogger switch, the orange led light still comes on. Is this normal?

2) What are my next troubleshooting step(s)?

3) I know from the wiring schematic that there is a relay(s) (& I read elsewhere on this forum that there is also a timer?) Where is the relay located? below dash fuse panel? behind fuse panel? Also, what identifying marks will be on the relay so I am certain I have located it?

I really appreciate any advice. I'm stuck.

Thanks

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
Common area is the wiring in the rubber boots on the left and right sides of the hatch when open.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. Yes, I've read about that. Note my item 5 where I state that I checked for that problem and determined that that section of wiring is fine.

Other ideas? Particularly how I identify location and specific identification of the rear defroster relay(s)?

Thanks

1 - 3 of 3 Posts