Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I recently found a 2003 Outback with very low miles (22k) that hasn't been driven for about four years. It was stored in a garage.

Things I am aware of that might cause a problem if not used regularly include battery, fuel pump, tires, and potentially gas tank rust.

Does anyone know how common these are with this model or experienced first hand?

How do you check the gas tank and fuel pump?

Anything else I should keep an eye out For?

Thanks!

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
do you know WHY it was parked?

I'd check brake calipers for freedom of movement, and do a thorough bleed at least.

check the stickies at the top of the gen 2 forum, fuel pumps can have an odd failure.

fluids - car could probably use fresh fluids, including the power steering.

do you KNOW if/when the timing belt system was serviced? the book says 105K miles OR 105 months.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,205 Posts

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
4 years is no big deal. done it countless times on much older subarus.

battery will be dead and good chance the tires shouldn't be trusted. you can look up the date code (4 digit number) on the side wall of the tires, but sitting 4 years i would not want them.

the only major issue is aging gas. subaru fuel systems are fairly forgiving and usually start up and run but gas can start to degrade in less than a year.

personally - i've never worried about gas and never had an issue. i'm not sure what happens and why it's not an issue in Subaru's (besides carburetors are archaic horrific excuses for fuel managements) but it would be in almost every boat, lawn mower, and every other device known to man.

ideally you empty and clean the tank out but that's all but impossible, so i'd look into any kind of gas treatment that may help dissolve that, or just fire it up and see what happens. just google it - i'm sure it's been asked.

you can also dilute it - fill the tank so the new gas may help spread the love.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
^^^^ great posts!

HEET might help cut any moisture in the fuel - the more empty the tank is, the more moistur - BUT the easier to dilute w'ever is in there.

pull timing covers, confirm timing and use a wrench to run the crank around a coupla times.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Inspect the suspension boots and bushings. Probably nothing dangerous from a torn axle boot, but if you want decent ride quality and uncontaminated greased components, a few minutes looking for rot is a good idea. I also found dead mice and several hornets nests, one of them still occupied!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts