Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I'm new here and as you can tell from my name I'm a subaru owner. I've been having a problem with the fiancee's 2003 subaru outback H6 with 162k.

The maintenance on this car has been sub optimal. She has apparently noticed a wet passenger side floor (where your feet go) for quite some time. This was not relayed to me :rolleyes: . So I got into her car the other day and the passenger floor was soaked. So I tried cleaning out the front sunroof drain. A week later the floor was soaked again. I also noticed that the oh sh*t handle was dripping. The water must be coming from the roof, it could not be coming from the floor and get the handle all wet.

Alright, let's start ripping this mofo apart.

image by spartywrx, on Flickr

As you can see the carpet is soaked. If you were to put your foot there it would make a nice squishy noise.

As you can see I ripped off th kick guard panel on the door frame. It just pops off. It's held on with clips as you can see their holes

From there take off the two peg style clips that are around where your left foot would sit. Under it are all these wires.

From there I explore further, popping the plastic cover off of the metal that separates the windshield and the passenger window.

RUST!

Next step take off the "oh sh*t" handle

Also take down the sun visor. There are two small screws nearest the passenger window on the articulating arm (no pic)

Next get a flathead screwdriver and work out the headliner and start to pull it down. If your head is under the oh sh*t handle, look up and rearward. There will be a teal tube connecting to a white connector

Hmmm, that black tube looks like it goes on that white connector. If that black tube carries water, this could be the source of my leak. Lets see where the black tube goes.

(As you can see here I already reconnected the black tube)
This is the drain to the front sun roof!

Let's now fix this

Black tube goes back on the white connector. I also added a zip tie as a tube clamp (not shown) .

Spray all wet areas liberally with anti mold cleaner and allow to dry.

Reassemble in reverse order.

If you have tried cleaning out the sunroof drain at the wheel well and it has not provided any relief, your next step may be to do this.

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
Nice walk through. Only thing i can add is extraction is 1200 times more effective to dry wet carpet than drying with air. As long as it is drying, mild can not grow. Good idea putting a mold stat/cide down though.

·
Registered
18,060 Posts
Good report. Is it correct that (in hindsight) only the handle and the visor need to be removed in order to lower the headliner and inspect that hose?

Also, I'm wondering why/how the black tube came off the white "T" fitting to begin with. Was the black tube a snug fit on the white "T" fitting or was it loose enough to come off on it's own (leading to the addition of the zip tie)?

And, is the "T" a three tube junction of the black tube from the right front of the sunroof, another tube going down to the drain outlet and a third from elsewhere? If so, did you see where the third tube comes from?

·
Registered
'99 Outback 2.5 GT auto & '97 LegOB w/ grossly insulted 2.5
141 Posts
Perhaps someone tried 'clearing' a blockage with excessive compressed air? Sounds like one of my 'better idea' screw-ups.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good report. Is it correct that (in hindsight) only the handle and the visor need to be removed in order to lower the headliner and inspect that hose?

Also, I'm wondering why/how the black tube came off the white "T" fitting to begin with. Was the black tube a snug fit on the white "T" fitting or was it loose enough to come off on it's own (leading to the addition of the zip tie)?

And, is the "T" a three tube junction of the black tube from the right front of the sunroof, another tube going down to the drain outlet and a third from elsewhere? If so, did you see where the third tube comes from?
In hindsight all I really needed to do was to remove the handle and the visor to get to the tubes. Water was leaking down the molding between the plastic and the metal frame. I followed the water up from the floor until I found a source.

The black tube appeared to be a press fit onto the t connector. The t connector has a expanded outer diameter lip that looks like its supposed to hook onto the inside of the black tube. The black tube looks as though it has stretched in diameter over time and no longer was a press fit.

The T-connector is a 3 way connection. There is a teal tube coming from the rear of the car which connects to the most distal portion of the t-connector. The leg of the "T" connects to the black hose to the front sunroof at a 90 degree angle to the distal teal tube. Finally, they both (distal teal and black) drain into another more proximal/front teal tube which is in line with the distal teal tube.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perhaps someone tried 'clearing' a blockage with excessive compressed air? Sounds like one of my 'better idea' screw-ups.
Not to my knowledge has anyone done this although I don't know if anyone at the dealership or auto repair place decided to do a little preventative maintenance.

I tried a shop vac on blow but that was only after this problem presented and the roof had been leaking for a long time.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,289 Posts
I had a water intrusion on my passenger floorboard earlier this year. The water would run down the A-pillar to the floorboard, and would also soak the headliner above the passenger seat. It ended up being the windshield seal. $50 to a glass install company and no more leak.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts