Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most of the time the only speakers that work in my Outback are the tweeters. If the interior of the car gets warm my right front speaker will work. Took the car to the dealer and paid to have the problem diagnosed and they said it was a short in my radio. I bought another radio and installed it and the problem was the same.

I read about this problem elsewhere, but never read about a fix. I would really appreciate any help.

Thanks.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Did you perform the installation on the new radio? If so then pull out the radio, grab a multimeter and set it to ohms to see that all the speaker wires read. This way you can verify that the speakers are in fact blown. If they are good they will read from 3.8 ohms to 4.6 ohms (give or take a few tenths) and that will verify that the radio was (or still is) the problem. If they read open (or no resistance) than the speakers are blown and in need of replacement.

·
Registered
16,294 Posts
Most of the time the only speakers that work in my Outback are the tweeters.
Highly likely the door speakers are faulty. It's not uncommon (lots of threads here with the same situation).

To check for continuity, the wiring diagram would also be needed along with a pin breakout of the connector at the back of the radio. (Do you have it?)

As an alternative, get hold of a known good 4- 8 Ohm speaker (physical size isn't important, but something around 6 inches in diameter would be convenient). Pull the interior trim off one of the doors, remove the speaker, and connect the harness wires to the replacement speaker (it doesn't have to be mounted into the door as long as the wires can reach it). Then see if it works. If it does, the original speaker is bad, and probably the others as well.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. I will check the speakers this morning. I do have the pin diagram. What would be very helpful is some kind of instruction on how to get the door panels off.

Thanks

·
Registered
16,294 Posts
See attached.

Please let us know what you find.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the help! Three of the speakers checked out as open, the one that worked part of the time was at 4.0 ohms. Took the front door panels off and tried the right speaker, that worked, on the left side and it worked there. Replacing all four speakers.

Now all I have to do is get my money back from the dealer and return the radio that I never needed. They will treat me OK, my immediate family has owned a total of 19 Subarus. My daughter just picked up her 2013 WRX.

·
Registered
16,294 Posts
Super. Thanks for updating the thread.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Replaced all four speakers today. All is back to normal. Amazing how much better a 9 year old car ,with 177,000 miles on it ,runs when the radio works.

·
Registered
16,294 Posts
Amazing how much better a . . car . . .runs when . . . .
My dad always used to say that after getting the car washed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
3 Participants
plain OM
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing