Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003, Subaru, Outback Wagon, 2.5L KYB Suspension lift
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So got a 2003 Outback Wagon with the rear right trailing arm bushing with the rubber slowly protruding away from the race. Need to press a new bushing into the trailing arm. Was wondering if there is a quicker way of doing so without removing the entire trailing arm from the car. A co-worker says he used to work next to an X Subaru Tech that had or made an SST to press the bushing out with the trailing arm on the car. Instead of removing the axle, upper and lower control arms, exa. Probably going to have to remove the trailing arm to replace the bushing but figured I would try and find a quicker way if it was possible. Thanks

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
If the hole is big enough maybe a FWD service kit press would do the trick?

You could also fab your own from black pipe, black pipe fittings, and threaded rod.

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
Advance auto has a rental press kit that I think would do the trick. I need to replace mine as well. One squeaks really bad. I have had some success with silicon lubricant to quiet it down.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Those are some pretty good ideas. Ill see if i can find the right service kit and modify it a bit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Victory! Ended up doing it on the car with a snap-on ball-joint press. Was not easy, had to disconnect the lower and rear control arms from the hub in order to get the trailing arm down far enough to attach the press. Then I had to use the flame wrench and got it hot enough to press out the thin rusted race out. New bushing pressed in easy. So over all very possible to do. Cost me 35 bucks some profound words and a little blood but very worth it. :29:

·
Registered
01 Outback LL Bean
2,439 Posts
I need to do this. I have a press but would rather not take the whole arm off. I have a ball joint tool as well, but that will only work if the bolt will fit through trailing arm bolt hole.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts