Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I decided to remove Onstar from my Subaru Outback 2003 H6. The harnesses are quite large and I figured since they weren't going to connect to anything that I would remove them as well. Big mistake. I now have an issue with the horn honking and lights blinking when the key ignition is turned on. After reading a little bit I've realized that it could be something with the alarm/anti theft/theft deterrent system. I can take the horn relay out to stop the horn from honking but the car still does a lot of things out of step. I've noticed that the dome light and map lights don't come on now and some lights flash, etc. If anyone has any experience with similar symptoms and can help it would be greatly appreciated. So far, in my area I have only found one willing participant shop and they charge $130 an hour. I am not sure how long it would take and they can not diagnose without delving into the matter. It could be as simple as an hour or as much as several. The shop does not have experience with Subaru so I am sure that I would be unable to get the problem solved super fast like they could do with a car they are familiar with. I can not express enough how grateful I would be for any help that would get me to solving the problem.

I thought about skinning the wires back that have been cut and one by one grounding them to see if this would cause the anti-theft system to disengage, but I really did not want to short anything and cause blown fuses or worse to happen. It is very hard to find a wire diagram for the Onstar system let alone instructional material on how to solve such an acute problem. I can take pictures and do other things to help inform someone with experience. Thank you for your time and any responses that might help. I think it goes without saying that I really DO NOT need any lecturing commentary on the mistake that I made.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
02 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
26,205 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response though no fault of your's - they are only help so much as I dont really understand the problem, how to deduce what it is, and fix it. However these will come in handy if someone can offer some idea of what is going on or how to test or solve etc. Thanks a lot, sincerely.

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
793 Posts
Yikes, can open, worms everywhere....

I did remove the On-star on our '04 VDC, it was like 3 years ago, so I'm not 100% sure on the details. I pulled the switch assembly, and replaced it with a pocket, and I think there were 2 modules attached to the radio/HVAC control assembly. I know there was one on top for sure, and I think one under the radio as well.

I also think there was a small sub-harness that went between said modules that I removed. But I did not cut off any wires, and everything works great.

You can find great diagrams at jdmfsm.info

1 - 5 of 5 Posts