Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback LL Bean Edition Wagon 3.0L H6 Engine
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, new to the forum hear, first subaru i've ever owned, bought the car listed in the subject and the radiator has been epoxied together where it was leaking and i had to have the subaru dealer flush the cooling system twice already, and i had them do the head gasket test because it was running a bit hot, i'm a mechanic , i ordered a genuine subaru radiator and upper and lower hoses for now. Also according to all my research my car runs a 170 degree farenheit thermostat if i am correct according to the factory oe part number. If i am wrong with any information please feel free to correct me!

But i was wondering if there is a more performance oriented two row radiator replacement available instead of the single core radiator that comes standard because eventually i am going to be purchasing a small pop-up trailer or camper that is within the tow ratings, also is the transmission spin-on filter behind the drivers side fog light trim?

Thanks very much,
Peter B

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,965 Posts
ATF spin on filter is behind the drivers side fog light.

the subaru OEM ATF filter is a long life product, do not replace it with a parts store thing which may not work the same. and if there is a none subaru one on there I would ditch it quick.

(such OEM things cost $25 online from subaru dealers on amazon).

_______

I would try towing the pop-up first. before trying to buy parts like bigger radiators, or ATF coolers. the 2003-2004 H6 got slightly more cooling capacity then 2001-02. subarus typically pull light pop ups with no problem, no mods.

trying to custom design a bigger radiator for such a car, would probably cool it too much. (finding any racing type parts for a EZ30D is kind of a lost cause,...although this forum will have the most discussion of such things in the entire universe).

so if you can pick one that is 1200 # or so you should be fine.

just remember to keep the tounge weight below 200#, (like all subarus ever).

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
pretty sure there's nothing available for the H6.

there's a great thread on here with someone modifing an H4 aluminum radiator for an XT6, but it's significantly custom in approach and time.

if you're towing steep grades in the summer heat/humidity - these will overheat with heavy loads/high drag (big box, boat, etc)
a trans cooler might pull some of the heat load away from the radiator and is a non-radiator option for mitigating the cooling demands, but i haven't tried it yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the responses , i have established a wholesale account with my local subaru dealer, since i am a mechanic and i work from home, so i have a genuine spin-on transmission filter in stock waiting to be put on when i flush the transmission with full synthetic atf , and at the same time i am going to add a external cooler to see if that helps the heat load. I am going to go ahead and replace the radiator with the stock equivalant because i am confident that the radiator that is in the car is original and 14 years old.

I don't have the pop-up camper yet, just bought the subaru i have and i've been bringing it up to mechanical snuff, not much was wrong with it but being a mechanic i scrutinize and go over every bit with a fine tooth comb. So far i have a set of 4 tires i put on, an alignment , and some time at the subaru dealer getting the security system diagnosed and fixed so that it would work properly.

I did buy the 72 hour subscription from subaru techinfo and i downloaded everything i felt i needed, but i'm watching ebay for a set of genuine subaru print service manuals.

Again thank you everybody and i appreciate all the advice. I look forward to hanging around the forums because i plan on keeping this car for a long time , hopefully 10+ years because it's 100% rust free underneath and it came from Maryland, the only thing it has the usual rear fender rot but i am fixing that, one side has solid metal still, the other side i have to weld a piece of metal in, haven't decided the best way to fix that, if anyone has any tips on that i'd appreciate it.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,965 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
eagleeye, thank you for the link,btw i have 200k on my outback,paid $2,100 for it, it's very clean inside , it runs wonderful, doesn't burn a drop of oil, Spent over $2,000 to get it to where i feel it's safe and reliable, the only two things left to do on my outback is a at home driveway transmission fluid flush, and change the spark plugs. Used to like big suv's for the comfort because i have a bad back, but i love my Subaru and i think i'm going to be brand loyal to Subaru forever, i love the styling and looks of their older and newer vehicles.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,965 Posts
eagleeye, thank you for the link,btw i have 200k on my outback,paid $2,100 for it, it's very clean inside , it runs wonderful, doesn't burn a drop of oil, Spent over $2,000 to get it to where i feel it's safe and reliable, the only two things left to do on my outback is a at home driveway transmission fluid flush, and change the spark plugs. Used to like big suv's for the comfort because i have a bad back, but i love my Subaru and i think i'm going to be brand loyal to Subaru forever, i love the styling and looks of their older and newer vehicles.
check your valve covers for oil leaks, on these the drivers side rear likes to drip,

if you got a drip you might consider doing plugs and valve covers at the same time, as it really opens things up,...

one of the odd things is the "books" and online mechanics services suggest actually pulling the EZ30D out of the bay to do valve covers.

vs. just jacking each side of the engine one side at a time to get better access, with directions on this forum.

on my own EZ30D I have valve covers and plugs to do, ...maybe in the coming months, at 128,000 miles now.
(already have the OEM valve covers/ tube seals,

and OEM type NGK double plats,)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts