Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there guys. Post some bugger destroying my 2000 outback im on the hunt for a new one. Im looking at adding some extra cash and upgrading to a 2004-2006 model, most likely in an LL Bean addition as I like my luxury interior.

My big problem is regard the sound system. I managed to salvage my aftermarket deck (USB’s and Bluetooth) amp, sub and speaker system that id fitted to my 2000 outback and would like to fit that to the next vehicle.

Iv had a look at a couple but most of them have the deck and aircon controls all integrated. Some appear to have a strip of plastic between the aircon controls and the deck however. Does this mean that i can purchase a simple plastic surround so that i can install a double din in place of the original deck, or are most of these also integrated into the aircon, requiring me to purchase the expensive JDM replacement aircon controls?

Is it possible with this arrangement?

·
Premium Member
'02 Bean H6, AWP & ORP, factory hitch
3,109 Posts
I thought they were a model year different in the US. (as in, the gen 3 started as a MY 2004 in Europe and asia)

I wouldn't doubt it. Carmakers around the world give us in the States diluted versions of their products. They know the idiot quotient here is high.

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Looking at the pics in this other thread, the OP's old OB is indeed the same as a US '04 model. So yes, the difference in dashes will be the same as you'd be facing in a US swap. Not sure the wiring harness is different, as many, many years of Subaru stock units do seem to share the same plugs. I don't think you can get around the integration of the HVAC controls too easily though.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well guys, iv looked into this a bit and spoken to a few local car stereo people and looks like the only way around is to purchase a complete new climate control unit to swap the deck out. Price between $600-$700!!!!!!!

Sorry to say but that’s way too expensive, and meaning I’m going to look into purchasing another brand of vehicle. Pity since I love outback’s but if Subaru are going to build a car that is either very expensive or you’re not able to swap the deck out on, then I won’t be buying one. OH well

Seems ludicrous that Subaru went down this path with their audio fitment? What next tyres that can’t be replaced?

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon 2.5L Auto Weather Package
1,971 Posts
Car stereo is the most important part of the car?

OK...
:8:

(You're going to find out more and more newer cars are like that. Have fun.)

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Car stereo is the most important part of the car?
Well second most important thing to me. Hate to say it but it really is that important to me. I know more and more are going that way, and I have to say its quite disappointing. I just cant see there reasoning.

Also the deck having a Bluetooth capability for hands free calling is essential for me. The fines alone of not been able to make hands free calls could be huge.

I mean how many people these days dont swap out the systems in cars?. Even a "premium" factory system sounds like poo by comparison to a cheap deck amp and speakers upgrade.

Last night I did a huge amount of Internet research, and it looks like the McIntosh stereo system installed in the 2004 OB is actually a separate deck, so a swap shouldn't be that hard. Im getting the dealer to confirm for me that it is actually a separate deck before parting with any cash.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well guys iv done a bit of research and looks like the McIntosh system in a 2004 outback is actually a standard din unit. Easy to swap out!

Iv not actually picked the vehicle up yet, but every indication seems that this is the case, and that the HVAC controller is in fact a separate part.

Next thing comes at finding a trim part to surround the newly installed deck. I spoke to my local Subaru dealer and they supplied me with a snapshot of the parts.

subaru dash.jpg

The parts guy has been great in trying to get me this part (No. 66065E) but Subaru wont supply this part alone, only the compete HCAV unit and all trims at a cost of over $1,000?

Anyone know of a place that can supply this part? Mine looks to be in mat black.

Has anyone any idea as to where to purchase this part?

Im considering buying one of these and taking to it with a hacksaw to make it fit? http://www.crutchfield.com/p_120998901/Subaru-Legacy-Outback-In-dash-Receiver-Kit.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts