Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Baja H4 EJ25 - heads rebuilt and new short block 10/14 -- AND 2004 35th Anniversary Edition OB H6
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(pic. attached - appears it might have uploaded sideways...? :| ) This is the top of the timing chain cover on the passenger side (the hose is the passenger side radiator hose). What do you suppose is going on here? It seems like an odd place for a leak, doesn't it??

Also - perhaps a no-brainer (?) but in a few days I'm going to install a new radiator. While there I'll change serp. belt. is it just "common sense" to remove the timing chain cover? - to check that "leak" and maybe see if chain guides are okay? ...

How big a job is it? - Just straight forward? - a bunch of screws and a gasket?

Thanks for any input.

Attachments

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
547 Posts
Bunch of screws and not a gasket but gasket maker. Permitex Grey if I recall correctly, And very specific torquing instructions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,444 Posts
I would start with cleaning everything up. With the radiator out, it'll make it easy to get in the crevices. Then check it after a drive.

Your power steering pump is right above that spot. How much, if any, oil is under the pump?

·
Registered
2003 Baja H4 EJ25 - heads rebuilt and new short block 10/14 -- AND 2004 35th Anniversary Edition OB H6
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah... - maybe just spilled PS fluid..? I guess I'm most curious if it's "worth it" to take timing chain cover off to "check" anything while I have access? - even though I have no apparent "issues" at this time? I've got 205,000 miles on it. - opinions?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,693 Posts
you do NOT want to take the chain cover off without an EXTREMELY good reason - even then, you might prefer to drop in a used engine.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback LL Bean H6
547 Posts
I would start with cleaning everything up. With the radiator out, it'll make it easy to get in the crevices. Then check it after a drive.

Your power steering pump is right above that spot. How much, if any, oil is under the pump?

Good point, I didn’t think of that. Good place to start actually.

On it being worth it, I didn’t have any problems personally with the front cover but wouldn’t want to do it unless I was going to replace the chains, tensioners and such.

If you do, just be careful not to strip those screws. Actually when I did it I ordered new screws all around. There’s 4 lengths of screws, very low torque values and a specific way to torque each one...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks very much for all the input. I'll leave well enough alone! ;-)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts