Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
Cao Cao,

Did you make it to Chicago? How's the show? Is it worth my going to New York to see the '05 OXT?:confused:

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 111,000+ miles
Discussion Starter #22
gUEss who's back, back again, Milly's back, tell your friends!

Well guys just got back from Chicago and let me start off by saying that the show was AWESOME!!! :D I was the first person at the Subaru site on Friday and got a warm welcome from all the Subaru reps there. Sorry guys I didn't have a digital camera to take pics with, only a disposeable so I'll scan the pics later and post them ASAP. Anyway I'll give a description of all the cool things I saw:

1. Outback XT: This thing is the real deal! It is one bada$$ piece of work! The hood scoop looks VERY nice and I'm sure these will sell like hotcakes when the hit the lots this summer. The interior on all new Outbacks is soo high scale, it makes the current USDM OB look like something out of the 80's. The seats are very comfortable and the leather is much nicer than that of the current OB. The Automatic XT will have transmission buttons on the steering wheel that can be used when it is in manumatic. The interior is HUGE and the new sunroof is pretty impressive, very Huge also! Much larger cargo area and you don't have to fold the second row seats up now when you fold the 2nd row seatbacks down. I do have to say that it doesn't seem like the rear cargo opening is as large as that of the current OB, but I can't really say for sure. The new OB is much higher off the ground, really gives it a SUV likeness.

2. 3.0 R models: Subaru is keeping the LL Bean and VDC models for the States. Both are 2-tone with the LL Bean having a dark brown lower body and the VDC having a light grey lower body. I have to say that the light green LL Bean they had on display looked REALLy nice, great color combination. Also the LL Bean has a darker set of 17" wheels than the rest of the OB's. Subaru brought back the 2-tone leather for the LL Bean also, it is VERY nice. Some of the best looking leather I've seen on any mainstream car in a long time. As far as the retooled H6-3.0 engine, its power rating is 250HP and 219 ft-lb. Torque. I must have misunderstood because I thought it had the same rating as the 2.5 Turbo at 250/250. The interior wood looks upscale but I didn't think too much of it, I also DON'T like the wood steering wheel. Let me reinterate, the LL Bean is quite a looker :D

I don't really have anything else to say for right now on the new OB but if you have ANY questions please ask. It is far superior to the current OB and any Subaru ever made at that. So ask away guys :D

Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
Glad you had a good time! I have absolutely fallen in love with the pictures of the LL Bean that I've seen. You said the Bean has two tone leather. What two colors? Beige and ?

One other question...fuel mileage. Did the subie reps have any info on that yet? May be too early but just curious as some over at Nasioc are suggesting H6 is going to get considerably better mileage than the H4T. I travel quite a bit so this is an issue I'll be watching closley. I'm anxiously awaiting the pics. Now I need to decide...XT or Bean. :D

Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
While it's nice to see them making these luxury versions of the OB, I'd like to see them offer a dressed-down version for getting dirty. I guess there isn't much market for that, or else they'd be doing it.

Imagine Subaru pursuing off-road performance as avidly as on-highway performance ... diffs you can lock, sway bars you can disable, a winch bumper option, genuine towing hooks or rings...

Shoot, my dad's 1986 GL10 sedan had a variable-height suspension....

Discussion Starter #26
injektilo said:
Glad you had a good time! I have absolutely fallen in love with the pictures of the LL Bean that I've seen. You said the Bean has two tone leather. What two colors? Beige and ?

One other question...fuel mileage. Did the subie reps have any info on that yet? May be too early but just curious as some over at Nasioc are suggesting H6 is going to get considerably better mileage than the H4T. I travel quite a bit so this is an issue I'll be watching closley. I'm anxiously awaiting the pics. Now I need to decide...XT or Bean. :D
Well believe me, I have a total infatuation with the XT although if I were to buy anything else it would be an LL Bean. I really didn't think too much of the VDC, it just that the Beaner looks soo **** good :4: The 2-tone leather is similiar in color to the 2001-02 Beaner's leather, a beige like the standard OB leather and a darker brown. It looks soo **** nice, I really can't say enough about how good the Beaner looks :D

I asked detailed, pointed questions about everything: MPG, pricing, dimensions, etc, etc, etc. They were kinda reluctant to tell me, I don't know if they didn't know or just couldn't tell the public. No big deal though, we all will be avidly awaiting all the good specs and prices. I wouldn't doubt that the H6 will get better realistic MPG than the 2.5T, the 2.5T will probably have better sticker mileage. For me it will be the XT, I like the Beaner although I want the manual in the Outback. My conflicts are that to get the AWESOME sunroof you have to get the Limited models with leather, BS, etc which I'm sure will be an extra $2k or so. Also they need to make a basic version of the H6-3.0 like mine, I think that may be a few years down the road. They'll probably hold off on that idea unless the LL Bean and VDC sales slide and they'll need something to bring H6 sales back up.

And also of note, it was hinted to me that an H6 manual transmission combo is in the works. Its probably a few years down the road also, still I think many like myself will be very content with the 2.5T 5-speed combo.

The_Lizard said:
While it's nice to see them making these luxury versions of the OB, I'd like to see them offer a dressed-down version for getting dirty. I guess there isn't much market for that, or else they'd be doing it.

Imagine Subaru pursuing off-road performance as avidly as on-highway performance ... diffs you can lock, sway bars you can disable, a winch bumper option, genuine towing hooks or rings...

Shoot, my dad's 1986 GL10 sedan had a variable-height suspension....
Gojira, I know they are making stripped down base models of the XT and of course the base 2.5L. I'd really like to see a base H6, but I'm sure that would steal alot of sales from the Beaner and VDC. As far as offroading, they just need to put the Impreza STi setup on an XT or H6 model, ya know DCCD, rear AND front LSD's or locking differentials, the whole nine yards. Subaru might consider it, "Only time will tell." -Mengde

Registered
One more question... was the XT pearl white or silver. If it was pearl white, how did the paint look? Some pearl whites are very pearly, others you have to really look at to see the pearl. Just curious.:)

Discussion Starter #28
It was Champagne Gold, IMO it is a great color on the current OB but doesn't look that great on the new OB. Of the pics I've seen my two favorite monotone colors are White and Silver. I have no clue on what the new OB colors will be, although the color line for the new Legacy will be:

Atlantic Blue Pearl
Brilliant Silver Metallic
Garnet Red Pearl
Obsidian Black Pearl
Regal Blue Pearl
Satin White Pearl

I'm sure OB colors will be similiar if not the same on most, this is probably not all the colors that will be available on the OB seeing as how they had the light green on the Beaner at Chicago. Go to the Subaru Australia Outback site to see the colors for the Aussie OB, those five will be on the USDM OB as far as I know. I know there will be more available but know one really knows for now.

OBXT Moderator, ,
2005 Outback XT Limited MT
SOXT

Well, I'm sold, at least on paper.

The specs (in particular the short gearing) on the SOXT-MT suggest that it will perform in more or less similar fashion to the SFXT-MT. I've driven one of these; they rule! I mean they fly off the mark, flatten hills, and can tow a ton. The downside: they require premium gas and they get relatively poor gas mileage--though still better than most.

A trip to NYC in April might be in order.

Registered
Hey Cao Cao...

How about posting those pics. Pretty Please. :D I'm sure many of us would :6: if you did. I've looked around the net but have only found a few pics from the show floor. Anxious to see yours. When you have time of course.:)

Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
New OB Colors

Hi Guys, just wanted to comment on the color question, I have seen all the colors available here in Australia and while you will maybe get more colours I guess the ones that are common to here will look the same. The Pearl White is very noticeably not a plain white, but I'd describe it more a Mica, along the lines of the Snowflake white of the Mazda 6, if you've seen that. They describe the silver as "metallic" but it's really a mica finish as well, just as glittery as the white when seen under strong sunlight (which we have plenty of here!).. The blue I found kind of drab, much prefer the WRX Blue.. The Champagne Gold is too similar to the Silver, not gold enough, to paraphrase my 11yo son, looks like a silver car that got peed on by a giant. The Black Pearl is gorgeous in sunlight, has GOLD mica flecks in it, pity it would be insane to own a black car here with 110F tempertatures in summer! I get my Silver VDC on Friday - woohoo :D

Registered
Re: New OB Colors

Jondalar said:
Hi Guys, just wanted to comment on the color question, I have seen all the colors available here in Australia and while you will maybe get more colours I guess the ones that are common to here will look the same. The Pearl White is very noticeably not a plain white, but I'd describe it more a Mica, along the lines of the Snowflake white of the Mazda 6, if you've seen that. They describe the silver as "metallic" but it's really a mica finish as well, just as glittery as the white when seen under strong sunlight (which we have plenty of here!).. The blue I found kind of drab, much prefer the WRX Blue.. The Champagne Gold is too similar to the Silver, not gold enough, to paraphrase my 11yo son, looks like a silver car that got peed on by a giant. The Black Pearl is gorgeous in sunlight, has GOLD mica flecks in it, pity it would be insane to own a black car here with 110F tempertatures in summer! I get my Silver VDC on Friday - woohoo :D
Glad to hear your description of the white. Sounds like what I'm hoping for here in the US. Can't wait to see pictures of your car!

Registered
New OB Colors

injektilo said:

Glad to hear your description of the white. Sounds like what I'm hoping for here in the US. Can't wait to see pictures of your car!
I will post pics ASAP, probably Sunday or Monday at the latest. BTW I hope you guys get some choice on interior colors, here the VDC (Premiun Pack 3.0R) only comes with the beige leather, the 2.5i all come with black interior whether leather or cloth, the standard 3.0R with beige fake suede inserts and what seems like Vinyl on the seats, either that or they are part leather, not even the sales guys seem to know. Can't wait for 5pm when I get the car! :cool:

Discussion Starter #34
Well from what I've all read the USDM 3.0 R models will ONLY have the tan/beige interior. The Outback XT will ONLY have the black interior and the base 2.5L models can have either beige or black probably depending on exterior color. I won't buy a car with beige interior (well maybe an '05 LL Bean :D) due to bad experieces in the past. The Outback XT seems perfect for me! :17:

Registered
Well I'm glad you can get the car you want with the color you want, personally I find black /dark interior makes the car feel smaller inside and also gets depressing after a while, part of the reason I am getting rid of my Mazda 6 LuxuryHatch with black leather interior ;) well that's my excuse anyway

Discussion Starter #36
BillD said:
Hey Cao Cao: What kind of numbers were at the bottom of the window stickers?

BD
Sorry Bill for the late reply, they had no stickers or pricing info on any of the 2005 Outbacks. I did my best to coerce the reps there to give me some info to no avail. You never know though, the USDM Outbacks started in production this month so I wouldn't be surprised if Subaru released pricing info as early as March seeing as how they are supposedly going to start hitting dealer lots in May. Only time will tell :)

Registered
I'm still hoping that the XT will get a beige interior. I don't think it will happen though. I agree about black interiors, they always feel a bit cramped to me. However, I've been looking at the black interior legacy GT pics (should be fairly similar to the OBXT) on need-desire.com and they are growing on me. Hmmm...XT i get a 5 speed, LLBean I get a beige interior...decisions decisions.

Discussion Starter #39
jerry60 said:
Cao Cao,

Just curious -- what was your bad experience with beige interior?

Jerry60
Well my old 2001 Honda Civic had a very light beige interior and it was horrible for stains, dirt, etc. It was just VERY hard to keep or even get clean so I don't think I'll even have a car with beige or light interior again unless its a grey color. I like cars with light exteriors and dark interiors.

Registered
injektilo said:
I'm still hoping that the XT will get a beige interior. I don't think it will happen though. I agree about black interiors, they always feel a bit cramped to me. However, I've been looking at the black interior legacy GT pics (should be fairly similar to the OBXT) on need-desire.com and they are growing on me. Hmmm...XT i get a 5 speed, LLBean I get a beige interior...decisions decisions.
Why not get a 3.0R VDC and get beige interior, 5sp Sportshift and a very very sweet sounding engine to top it all off ;)

21 - 40 of 52 Posts