Subaru Outback Forums banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
350 Posts
Jondalar said:

Why not get a 3.0R VDC and get beige interior, 5sp Sportshift and a very very sweet sounding engine to top it all off ;)
The true manual is just so tempting!

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Yeah, pity they don't put the 6sp from the WRX in it. Personally I have owned 1 turbo car and never will have another, much prefer a good DOHC motor, but that's just me. :8:

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Jondalar said:
Yeah, pity they don't put the 6sp from the WRX in it. Personally I have owned 1 turbo car and never will have another, much prefer a good DOHC motor, but that's just me. :8:
Well it could happen sooner than you'd think :17: Seeing as how Subaru finally mated the STi 6-speed with the H6-3.0, the usage of the 6-speed could spread throughout the model line. The thing that gets me is that for the Outback XT Subaru is using a "Reinforced" 5-speed manual. I don't quite get that seeing as how the 2.5L Turbo in the OBXT is pretty much the same as the one in the Impreza STi and it would be much more feasible just to use the STi 6-speed especially seeing as how they just put it with the H6. The reinforced 5-speed may be cheaper than the 6-speed although if the 6-speed where used more throughout the model line, costs would go down for it and it would improve the cars. Thats just my take and I don't really know or understand why Subaru wouldn't follow this strategy.

·
Registered
2003 Subaru Outback 2005 Ford Ranger
350 Posts
Jondalar said:
Did you have a bad experience with a turbo?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
injektilo said:

Did you have a bad experience with a turbo?
Owned a Mazda MX6 turbo, 1992 model, was a very scarey car even though it only had a 'mild' turbo, there was pronounced lag, basically never knew what level of power you were going to get, and believe me the turbo suddenly kicking in mid corner on a FWD coupe is not fun. Sure it would've been better in a manual, but the experience just put me off turbo's, specially seeing as with a good multi-valve engine there's just as much power(well almost) and a more predictable delivery, also I hate the sound of turbo engine, specially WRX's with modded exhausts, heard better sounding lawnmowers Actually that MX6 is what put me off dark interiors too, maybe I need to see a car therapist? :roadtrip:

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
Well, all I can say is you got the wrong model ! :p The REAL MX-6 is the V6 model :D and I'm the proud owner of a 1993 V6 MX-6. I'm driving the Sub more often now, so the Mazda sits in the garage most days.

Btw, the 2nd gen V6 models arrived in oz in late 1991...are you sure yours was a 92 ?

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
yeah I got it early in 91, which I assumed was to the Americans a '92 model... forgot Aussie might be reading too LOL. I tried out a second gen MX6, was soo small inside for me, but I agree a much nicer car and with a much nicer engine too! (I drove the V6 626 at the time) :29:

·
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Losiho said:
Well, all I can say is you got the wrong model ! :p The REAL MX-6 is the V6 model :D
I totally agree with Chris on this, a friend of mine once had a V6 MX-6 and it was a blast! I've never seen a Turbo Mazda I've really liked anyway, they should stick to rotary engines ;)

Jondalar, believe me a turbo FWD is not nearly as good as a turbo AWD. A stock WRX is not a great example though, although (BELIEVE ME) the two Subarus I've driven with a 2.5L turbo (Impreza STi and Forester XT) are both great cars with no turbo lag having engines with very manageable power at all levels. I'm sure it will be no different and probably much better with the new Outback XT I'm sure ;)

·
Registered
MY99 3rd Gen Outback GX, 2004 Lexus RX330 Sport Luxury
242 Posts
The V6 engine is better with modifications too :2: All that's needed is a few JDM engine parts (yes, the Japs got the "gun" engine, as usual)

HPC coated KLZE IM, HPC coated H/S CAI & intake elbow, 65mm Bored TB, 2.5" Mandrel cat back exhaust, IM & TB Phenos, PRD STS, DBA x drilled & slotted rotors, Bendix Ultimate Pads, 18mm Whiteline rear sway bar, Ractive Rear strut brace, Autotechnica Mach 3 leather steering wheel, Pioneer DEH-P 7050, Pioneer CDX-P630S, Focal 165K2s, Alpine SWR304D, Alpine V12 MRV-T503, Alpine V12 MRV-F407.

With those simple mods above, performance is sooo much better to. The JDM Intake Manifold adds roughly 10 wheel hp, while the bored TB around 8whp. I haven't dyno'ed my car yet, but there's a Probe over at the Probetalk Forum with more or less the same mods as me (minus test pipe....illegal here) that does 15 sec flat 400m times. More practice and high 14s could be possible. :cool:

And boo hiss CC, you guys get the Outback XT, we don't ! :mad: :p

·
5,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Losiho said:
HPC coated KLZE IM, HPC coated H/S CAI & intake elbow, 65mm Bored TB, 2.5" Mandrel cat back exhaust, IM & TB Phenos, PRD STS, DBA x drilled & slotted rotors, Bendix Ultimate Pads, 18mm Whiteline rear sway bar, Ractive Rear strut brace, Autotechnica Mach 3 leather steering wheel, Pioneer DEH-P 7050, Pioneer CDX-P630S, Focal 165K2s, Alpine SWR304D, Alpine V12 MRV-T503, Alpine V12 MRV-F407.

With those simple mods above, performance is sooo much better to.
Simple mods, huh Chris? Yea... Right! :p :D

Losiho said:
And boo hiss CC, you guys get the Outback XT, we don't ! :mad: :p
Hey now, you Aussies have been getting all the good stuff for years now! Its about time us fat-arse Yankees started getting the cream of the crop :D

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
Yeah I agree guys, MX6 turbo wasn't a good choice, at the time my wife (now ex) wouldn't even consider Subaru so I missed out on many years if Subie ownership ;)

41 - 52 of 52 Posts