Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I drive a 2004 legacy outback ltd. Recently it has been making this noise and I do not know what it is. It sounds to me like something that is scraping the ground. However, I look regularly and have never seen anything under the car. There was one small piece of plastic that was loose.
The car makes the sound inconsistently but very often and when I had it looked at last the dealer only tightened the power steering belt to get rid of the some squeaking. That worked for the squeaking but he didnt seem to notice this noise. I have tried for the life of me to find out when it is making the noise, but the only thing that I have found is a requirement is that the car has to be moving. It can do it when driving, coasting or breaking, but not idling. At one point I thought maybe it was only on rough roads, but that seems to have been untrue. I also thought maybe it does it only when cold, but that also has not always been true.
I can't tell exactly where it is coming from, sometimes it seems to be right in front or beneath me. It comes with a very slight vibration through the steering wheel or floor. It hasn't affected drive-ability besides wondering if I should not be driving it haha.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,163 Posts
wheel bearing or sticky brake.:

when its making the noise does the car pull to the left or right?

Reactions: 1 Lucky Texan

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,754 Posts
if it does at under 5-6 mph, have some drive while you pace the car at each corner.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I do not think there is a pull. I may try to have someone drive while I watch, but its currently blizzard conditions where I live. I will post a link to sound sound files as soon as I have enough posts to be able to include a hyperlink. The sound can either be drawn out like something continually scraping on the ground or it can pulse really quick with quick grating/scraping sounds.

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,754 Posts
in addition to above suggestions, there can be a small piece of debris caught between the backside (inside) of the brake rotor and the dust shield (back plate)

I had a pebble make an awful sound on my old Datsun Fairlady in the past.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,163 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I do not think there is a pull. I may try to have someone drive while I watch, but its currently blizzard conditions where I live. I will post a link to sound sound files as soon as I have enough posts to be able to include a hyperlink. The sound can either be drawn out like something continually scraping on the ground or it can pulse really quick with quick grating/scraping sounds.
might also be in the suspension, or a brake backing plate making contact with something occasionally.

if you want to post a link add some ??? in front of the http so the antispam software does not detect a new member trying to post a link. (spambots do that).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So there are no brake backing plates because it is disc bakes. However, I found that the disc shield on the driver side is super rusted out and pretty floppy. Chances that this is the problem? Or should I keep looking? Nothing in the suspension as far as I can tell.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
27,163 Posts
So there are no brake backing plates because it is disc bakes. However, I found that the disc shield on the driver side is super rusted out and pretty floppy. Chances that this is the problem? Or should I keep looking? Nothing in the suspension as far as I can tell.

the brake disc shield kind of sounds like a beer can being beat with a drum stick when it contacts something moving. (cheap to buy,...or just bend what you got away, = I had it happening to one of mine and it was not easy to find, but it would happen when the wheels and body would twist a bit, like on a blacktop driveway with odd grades in it when the car should be making no other sounds).

I just listened to your sound clips, the first one seems like a empty strut. or something similar in the suspension.
@traildogck might hear different. (he lives in crater strewn, greater denver, and can speak to steering / suspension issues more then many others)..

(if you need struts: KYB are the only ones to buy and the ones subaru relabels, ..I got mine on amazon/ rockauto,
the rest are now chinese junk,. in a nice box).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.