Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellow Outbackers,
I am stumped.
My Right Low Beam only comes on when my high beams are on.
And, of course my Left low beam operates on high also.
So when the high beams are on all four lamps operate.
I have replaced the relay, and the fuse.
I have replaced the low beam with a new one, to no avail.
If I switch the non working (on Low) right side lamp to the left side, it works!
I would appreciate any help!
Thanks,
Tony p
Monroe, NC
2004 Outback LL Bean
3.0L / 4 spd auto
212,xxx miles

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I still have not figured this out.
Looks like the 63 members that have viewed my post are as stumped as I am!
Tony p

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,628 Posts
I still have not figured this out.
Looks like the 63 members that have viewed my post are as stumped as I am!
Tony p
can't gauge much on views. (although our forum is the place for answers,...its not instant Karma either).

@plain OM @brucep etc. little help please.

wonder if there is a wire grounding problem.

how are the tail lamps / tail lamp sockets ?

is there any buzzing noise from the relay box? does pulling the hand brake to turn off the DRL do anything different ?

·
Registered
16,955 Posts
Interesting. Need more info/clarification.

No mention of DRLs, so let's go back a bit.

The DRLs are the low beam bulbs operating a reduced brightness. When the engine is running, and the parking brake is released (i.e., off), do both low beams work as DRLs?

I understand that when the ignition is On (engine running or not), the headlight switch is turned to the second, full headlight position, and the dipper switch is set for the low beams, only the left side low beam (outer of the two headlight bulbs) is lit. There's no sign of any current (e.g. glow) in the right side bulb. Correct?

But, when the dipper switch is set for high beams, the high beam bulbs on both sides come on (as they should), and the low beam on the right side, which wasn't on before, also comes on. So both low beam bulbs are on, and at full and equal brightness. Is that definitely the case? (Perhaps remove both high beam bulbs, and see if both low beam bulbs are lit fully when the high beams are selected. That way, the brightness of the high beam bulbs is removed. It's normal for both to be on when the high beams are selected, but there is no switching of the low beams when changing from low to high -- it's just the addition of the two high beam bulbs coming on.)

Just to be sure, when you changed the bulbs, are you sure the right bulbs were changed? The low beams are the upper bulbs behind the cover; the high beams are the lower bulb behind the cover (page 11-66 in the Owners Manual). [I ask because there's cases here where the wrong bulbs were mistakenly replaced, with reports of "no change" in the problem.]

How long have you had this car, and when did this problem appear? Has any work been done in the headlight area? Are the headlight assemblies the originals, or aftermarket replacements?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,628 Posts
do the fog lights work as they should? (with the low beams, and click automatically off with the high beams).

over the years, on my cars the weird crap with the headlights that I can't find with the bulbs swapping,
turns out to be a wire or a ground (a game of hide/ seek no where near the head lights).

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
If I was asked to look into such an issue, I would start by validating all ground connections.

For example, If a ground for the headlights were to become disconnected, the current might 'backfloiw' thru the other filimant and make BOTH the high/low come on (at reduced brightness)

This is easy enough to troubleshoot by measuring for voltage on the ground wire to the bulb with a meter. (with the headlights ON). Ideally, there should be 0.00 volts. Under real-wold conditions, I would be happy with any measurement below 0.05 volts.

If too much voltage is measured on the ground, the next step would be to temporrarly jumper to ground and REcheck to see if that corrected the problem. Then, look for the REAL break in the ground wire.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,868 Posts
I will note that low beam on while high beams on is normal.
Aggravating and stupid and hurts your far distance but normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts