Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2004 "USDM Lancaster6" -OBW Pearl White LL Bean Edition H6.
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm attempting to remove the old rear swaybar on my 04 Outback but I'm having one major issue: I cannot get the old bar off. There is no area in the end of the bolt to insert a 5mm allen wrench so the bolt doesn't spin, so whenever I attempt to remove the nut it either:
A) Spins
B) If I use two wrenches to attempt to hold the other bolt in place, it will loosen a little bit then just retighten itself.

Anyone else have these issues? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Edit to add the new swaybar info: It's a 20mm Whiteline adjustable bar. Just sitting in my room patiently waiting installation. :p

·
Registered
2009 Tribeca Now - 2004 Outback EJ259 - Sold
1,072 Posts
Cut it off. If you ever go back with the standard bar, end links are cheap.
:D
Using my cutoff tools always puts a smile on my face.

I usually get those endlinks off with some needle nose vise grips and my impact, although the nut is usually smoking when it comes off.
Only the ones where the impact wont fit gets the chop.

·
Registered
304 Posts
My mechanic used vise grips to hold on to edge right after the bushing (the round piece) then gradually the bolt came off, it due to age and how subaru endlinks are made. Once the bolt is off comes the fun part of getting the old bar out and he didnt remove the exhaust he just found ways to wiggle it out at angles, if not you will have to remove the exhaust at the Y or where the 2 split at the flange. My new exhaust was already done so wiggling out at angles worked. Also would try to use new endlinks either AVO or Rallitek. Subaru are rubber and the others are silicone. New endlinks will complete the setup and be worth it vs oem ones.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm liking the cut it off method, simply because it's a bit easier and in the end you can laugh at the mangled endlink that once made a fool of you. I'll do that and shop around for upgraded endlinks. On Rallitek's website they don't list any endlinks for the 00-04 outback, will these fit although the car isn't listed?

RalliTEK HD Rear Endlinks

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,456 Posts
I'm liking the cut it off method, simply because it's a bit easier and in the end you can laugh at the mangled endlink that once made a fool of you. I'll do that and shop around for upgraded endlinks. On Rallitek's website they don't list any endlinks for the 00-04 outback, will these fit although the car isn't listed?

RalliTEK HD Rear Endlinks
I sometimes gripe at the cars when they don't cooperate. It seems effective sometimes. Other times I start bitchin it out severely to get its attention. :D

I was thinking you got links with the bar. Those links look correct. They didn't give the lengths, but with the sway bar, it won't matter. Subaru was consistent in their builds.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
cardoc said:
I sometimes gripe at the cars when they don't cooperate. It seems effective sometimes. Other times I start bitchin it out severely to get its attention.

I was thinking you got links with the bar. Those links look correct. They didn't give the lengths, but with the sway bar, it won't matter. Subaru was consistent in their builds.
Haha! Definitely did some griping and cussing this afternoon. I finally just took a permanent break for the day and retreated to the warmth of the house.

And yeah the bar was a christmas present, so I didn't get any links with it. I'll put an order in for those links soon. Thanks cardoc :29:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts