Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a 2004 LL Bean edition today, got it cheap and it is a rebuilt salvage, getting my life together and finally buying a car just to get to work. Jump started at showing, seller said bad battery, it sat for a while. It ran fine, drove fine, I paid and drove home. Bought brand new battery, installed. All lights were bright but would not start. Clicked once. Not click click click. Jump started. Ran for 10 min fine. Noticed a lot of lamps out but most working. Revved a little, it stalled. Would not start again. Did not attempt Jump again. Ideas? Kinda scared, I have to go pay to get it legal before before i can jump it drive it to get tested.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,086 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and sorry for your troubles.

Symptoms kind of suggest fuel issues to me, and if it sat a while without being run, maybe a can of Heet in the tank would be a quick remedy.

The one click when trying to start (what I likely expect was the starter solenoid) might be a different issue; if the new battery wasn't fully charged (many aren't right off the store shelf), or if the battery cables are questionable, then either a full charge or replacement cables should remedy that. Don't go overboard with that one right now though; if you can jump it and get it to crank, work on the stalling issue first.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
16,143 Posts
Dito battery cable(s) as a possible for the starter clicking but not engaging. Lack of current won't allow the motor to engage and spin. The starter sucks a lot of amperage.

This generation is the one that has an issue with the pressure bowl cracking or the seal popping out, or the cap cracking. It's on the fuel pump assembly in the tank and is accessed from under the back seat. Tilt the rear seat up and you will see the access cover with 4 philips head screws. The pump is bolted down with 8 mm hex heads. You should clean the area around the top of the pump assemgly prior to removing the screws or hoses. The hoses can be a little troublesome to some but if you spray them down with carb or brake clean to remove the dirt and grime it will help with getting them unlocked.

When my cap broke on my VDC I got a 2004-06 BAJA fuel filter kit. I used the cap and tossed the filter.

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper Gas

The fuel cap may or may not be your issue, but based on the stalling I'd be looking at it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts