Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2004, Subaru Outback, 2.5L H4, 5-Speed Manual
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my very first post. It is almost the first anniversary since I bought the car. A 2004 Outback H4 2.5L 5-Speed.

I bought the car and it was completely missing its resonator pipe. The engine was insanely loud. The muffler hung completely unattached from the exhaust all the way in the back doing absolutely no help to the poor neighbors and their peace as I woke up at 4am to go to sports.

I ordered a new pipe ASAP and it showed up and I installed it. It was supposed to be bolt in, but we ALL know how bolt ons go…

Anyways, due to the lack of resonator the “Check Engine” light has been on since day one. However, even after the resonator was replaced, the light remains on. It does not do anything but honestly, at this point, I’m just sick of seeing CHECK ENGINE ALL THE TIME!

So my question is, is there a way that I can…
a. Fix the sensor
b. bypass the sensor

Thanks for the help! (I am not running any kind of after market exhaust BTW)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,859 Posts
is that a EJ251 or a EJ259 (cal spec)

what is the code?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is that a EJ251 or a EJ259 (cal spec)

what is the code?

It is a EJ259

The code I get is...

P0483

01/05

Not sure if that makes sense I just got a new reader.

Thanks for the help!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts
It is a EJ259

The code I get is...

P0483

01/05

Not sure if that makes sense I just got a new reader.

Thanks for the help!

01 / 05 ? I think that means on that reader you need to push a arrow key to skip to code 02 of 05.

P0483 = a cooling fan relay code?

____

and the EJ259 is a one year thing, like half a step from the EJ251 to the EJ253.

unique things in it. (California / North east spec in that year...... so make sure if there is a choice in parts you buy the ones that say california spec.)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
01 / 05 ? I think that means on that reader you need to push a arrow key to skip to code 02 of 05.

P0483 = a cooling fan relay code?

____

and the EJ259 is a one year thing, like half a step from the EJ251 to the EJ253.

unique things in it. (California / North east spec in that year...... so make sure if there is a choice in parts you buy the ones that say california spec.)

Ok, I'm hoping I can just delete the sensor how would I go about doing that?

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts

what sensor is that?

easy and cheap to swap broken things,... depending upon what they are.

this is not a 1983 Chevy Citation, with a check engine light for code 0000, that no one on the face of the earth can solve.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Also you were right I had 5 codes. This is news to me...

1. P0483
2. P0420
3. P0303
4. P0304
5. P0607

Those are all the codes I'm getting from my reader.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts
Also you were right I had 5 codes. This is news to me...

1. P0483
2. P0420
3. P0303
4. P0304
5. P0607

Those are all the codes I'm getting from my reader.

the 303 and the 304 are misfires. such may make for the 420.

what do you got for plugs and wires on this?,... subarus like the NGK brand, and the originaly type had a short 30,000 mile interval on the plug change,
I have NGK double platinum plugs on my 2002 H4 car, they are small so despite them being the more expensive variety they are still cheap to buy.
(rockauto and amazon can beat the local parts stores on price, and sad some of the local chains have periods of no NGK anything despite it being the biggest spark plug company in the world).

Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

___

the 607 is a odd one, some kind of generic electrical problem, engine grounds maybe, bad battery wires,...?

_____
@plain OM opinion on that list?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
the 303 and the 304 are misfires. such may make for the 420.

what do you got for plugs and wires on this?,... subarus like the NGK brand, and the originaly type had a short 30,000 mile interval on the plug change,

I have NGK double platinum plugs on my 2002 H4 car, they are small so despite them being the more expensive variety they are still cheap to buy.

(rockauto and amazon can beat the local parts stores on price, and sad some of the local chains have periods of no NGK anything despite it being the biggest spark plug company in the world).

Subaru maintenance schedules and new car break-in period- 2000 through 2009, links for 2010, 2011...

___

the 607 is a odd one, some kind of generic electrical problem, engine grounds maybe, bad battery wires,...?

_____

I DEFINITELY need to change spark plugs it's been way too long. However when I start it it idles a bit rough (and that's when I took the codes and is probably 100% connected) and that's probably why those codes were showing up. Once you get it a bit warmed up everything smooths out. I wonder if those codes persist past the rough start.

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
One option is to clear the codes and see which one comes back first

If it's a two sensor system (Front AF and Rear O2) you can cheat the rear O2 sensor with the Five Dollar Fix (a drilled out spark plug anti-fouler before the rear O2 Sensor).

If it's a CA emissions car I don't have any ideas about that.

If the misfire codes come back first change your spark plugs and that may fix the P0420 code

P0483 Control Fan Rationality Check Malfunction may not be related to any of the other issues but will set the check engine light

·
Registered
18,866 Posts
the 303 and the 304 are misfires. such may make for the 420. . . . .
___

the 607 is a odd one . . .

_____

P0607 — CONTROL MODULE PERFORMANCE

This DTC shows up only in the 2004 FSM sections for the H4SO U5 and H4DOTC.

The code is related to inconsistencies in the throttle control system. The failsafe is "limp mode".

This, and, as mentioned, the P0483, might be additional, unrelated issues. (Check engine light has never been off.)

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,859 Posts

The code is related to inconsistencies in the throttle control system. The failsafe is "limp mode".

This, and, as mentioned, the P0483, might be additional, unrelated issues. (Check engine light has never been off.)
I did not dig into the FSM for the EJ259

on the generic listing for all cars I was looking at it said concerning 607, something about connectivity between the ECU and the rest of the car electrically.
(be it from lack of power to bad wire connectors to the ECU).

_____

I think I would start with the plugs, and or wires if need be, and see what crops back up. after those kind of needed maint. items are fixed.
as,..like now the engine is half running,...at least on start up until it warms or calms down. (possibly some phantom electrical noise codes,...like sprinkles on a sundae).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

So I replaced spark plugs and it cleared ALL the codes. I imagine the cat one will come back though....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did not dig into the FSM for the EJ259

on the generic listing for all cars I was looking at it said concerning 607, something about connectivity between the ECU and the rest of the car electrically.

(be it from lack of power to bad wire connectors to the ECU).

_____

I think I would start with the plugs, and or wires if need be, and see what crops back up. after those kind of needed maint. items are fixed.

as,..like now the engine is half running,...at least on start up until it warms or calms down. (possibly some phantom electrical noise codes,...like sprinkles on a sundae).

I fixed the plugs and everything seems clear now! Thanks for the help. The H4 plugs are a bit of pain if you don't have the right tools.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts