Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My old block (04 OB SOHC ) has 2 holes per corner, and new block has 1 hole per corner ( SOHC EJ25 - unknown origin). The guides are spot on. Looks like it'll line up "ok".

Has anyone seen this problem, dealt with a similar situation like this?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
the auto trans made a change in 99/00 and they went from a 4 bolt / 2 pin system to an 8 bolt / 2 pin? system.

this is just a guess but i think you have a 96 - 98 short block.

the starter mounting may be an issue since the bolt hole change affected that as well. you can probably use it as long as you can mount your starter. i don't think the specs for the crank and pistons are any different. ALTHOUGH, they may have moved the thrust bearing. i don't know when they did that. maybe pre- 99.

the older style starter used one long trans to engine bolt and one nut on a stud in the trans bell housing. the newer trans use more / all bolts i think. i can't remember. (i know some of the bolts around the starter have to be done in the right order or your wrench/ socket will not fit on the bolt head.)

i would contact the supplier and ask. see if you got the right part, or if they messed up. see what they say about using it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
OBnube
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing