Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Baja H4 EJ25 - heads rebuilt and new short block 10/14 -- AND 2004 35th Anniversary Edition OB H6
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok - got a 2004 (35th Anniversary Ed. H6) Rear alignment parts "frozen."

If I'm going to get in there and switch stuff up, what should I replace?

I see a rear lower and a front lower control bar -- and an upper control bar.

? I take it that the "rear lower - inner" is where toe is adjusted?? I assume, at a minimum that I should replace those bushings and bolts (they are "cam bolts" - right?). Should I replace the inner bushings (and bolts?) on the same arm?

-- ? I take it that the kit for camber adjustment replaces the upper control arm - outer bushings - right?

---- any thoughts?................
THANKS!!

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
I live in salt/ salted sand/ calcium/ magnesium laden upstate NY and replaced a whole bunch of as needed stuff on the rear of my 2002 H6 wagon a few years ago.

advice for a minisnowta 2004, don't bother buying bushings, they will not come out of the steel bits, and the whole arms are not that much more costly anyway.

(I had to play switcheroo with a online subaru dealer, as the mechanic with the press said he could try,....and then said no getting the things out,...and I was happy they took them back without a argument ...).

I used all subaru OEM parts at the time,... and have a new subframe now to put on the car a few years later. (maybe sept).

Reactions: Chuck123

·
Registered
2003 Baja H4 EJ25 - heads rebuilt and new short block 10/14 -- AND 2004 35th Anniversary Edition OB H6
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, you're suggesting that if I buy the whole arm, it comes with the bushings? - I'll have to get 'em either way, right? Did you, by any chance, add the ability to do camber adjustment? (That is done at the outer end of the upper control arm, right? -- Leave the rest alone then? (How do you tell if a bushing is shot?)

Thanks.

I live in salt/ salted sand/ calcium/ magnesium laden upstate NY and replaced a whole bunch of as needed stuff on the rear of my 2002 H6 wagon a few years ago.

advice for a minisnowta 2004, don't bother buying bushings, they will not come out of the steel bits, and the whole arms are not that much more costly anyway.

(I had to play switcheroo with a online subaru dealer, as the mechanic with the press said he could try,....and then said no getting the things out,...and I was happy they took them back without a argument ...).

I used all subaru OEM parts at the time,... and have a new subframe now to put on the car a few years later. (maybe sept).

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm leaning toward Eagleeye's suggestion (above)... I want to keep the car as long as I can.
It's in generally great shape - my daily driver and what we use to tow our little camper around in the summer. I don't know that any of the bushings is "toast" but the tow adjustment is frozen (to the point where alignment guy gave up - which I hear is common). So if I get new arms/bushings/bolts do you have any suggestions re. brands to use or other parts to replace while I'm down there? -- Have you any experience adding the camber adjustment kit to a 2004 generation?... Thanks. Any suggestions
What exactly is frozen?

What to want out of the car, there are aftermarket parts. But you should clairfy, what is "frozen" and what bushing are "toast"

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,165 Posts
I'd have to get my parts list out from my buy years ago, (my project actually started with a subaru dealer suggesting they could not alighn the car as those parts were rusted and the mechanic showed me on the lift, gave me no bill, and forgot about me, I then confirmed what was rusted at a friendly independent shop, made a list and bought it
the OEM parts at a online subaru dealer, had them installed at that ndependent shop,...and then went back to the dealer for a aligment on another coupon, dropped it off and borrowed one of their loaners for a few hours,

...and they said they could not align it as it was too rusted,... where if anyone there looked underneath it,...they would see brand spanking new subaru parts. :bla::bsflag:

(wonderful thing those $89 coupons do to trick people to come in there and buy parts/ services,...and that was the first time I stepped in a dealer shop in more then 10 years this was Feders > Johnstons in middletown, NY for those searching up such crooks in auto repair

took it to another nice guy independent shop with a nicer alignment rack,...and just $100 later got a clean bill of health.

bushings come in the arms.

if you got some additional dough and want better then OEM stuff:

whiteline makes adjustable stuff. megan racing also. and they let the nice aligment guys do some more with the car.

Reactions: Chuck123
1 - 6 of 6 Posts