Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I had a whining sound start in the rear of my 04 obw on my way to work today at any speed above 50 and from everything I’ve read it more than likely is the wheel bearing over the diff being bad or something. A few questions what do you guys think? It still does it when I am not on the throttle at all. My last question is if I do these bearings is there any way ones from a gen 3 outback would fit and work since they are hub and all instead of messing with taking the hub out? The mounting looks the same it’s just curiosity.
Thanks!
John

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
Is the noise the same in left turns and right turns?
On my '03 it was the very devil figuring out which one in the rear was bad.

I think the gen2 is available as bearing and hub together.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,112 Posts
Take a "cat toy" laser thermometer and check the hub temperature after driving for a while when you have heard the noise. Chances are the hotter of the two rear hubs is the one with a bad bearing. Drive it in Neutral for a bit to see if the sound changes, in order to eliminate the rear diff. It wouldn't hurt to change the fluid back there BTW.

Unless they miraculously changed it for the 2004 model year, the 2nd generation are not a hub and bearing combination, like the 3rd generation. Rather than taking out four bolts and the axle, like the 3rd gen, you need to disassemble enough of the suspension components to remove the knuckle and press the old bearing out and press the new bearing in. Real PITA.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
i've always wondered the same thing - they are the same form/shape/look. i wonder what changed? i've never had them side by side.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Limited, VF37, STI intake, 5MT
1,553 Posts
Well, the 2nd gen are not as "easy" as the 3rd gens, but they are a far cry from 1st gens.. You still need to "remove" the hub from the bearing assembly, but that can be done on the bench (or take it to a local machine shop/mechanic shop with a press).

However, if you want to pay extra but save time/hassle, Subaru is now selling the whole hub and bearing assembled now... it's $240 retail, but you won't have to swap the old hub. 2000-04 Outback, Legacy and 2003-06 Baja.

28473AE01A

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
2004 Outback should be bolt in ones. Fortunately you won't have to deal with the Lateral Link Bolt from ****!

·
Registered
01 outback-5sp-UEL-wrx wheels
76 Posts
hey man, would you know about my 01's front setup? for a bad bearing am i forced to take it down to the knuckle and have a shop press it out and press the new bearing onto the old hub? i've got a real bad one and need to do it asap

::EDIT::

so its looking like i need to bring it to a shop to press it out. are you aware of any long lasting aftermarket bearings that hold up, or pay the 120 for OEM bearing and 2 seals?

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
i personally feel soob wheel bearings are not all that special and would have no problem using a Timken bearing in an older car.

ymmv

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I thought my rears on my '03 were bolt-in- maybe a brain cramp...
2004 Outback should be bolt in ones. Fortunately you won't have to deal with the Lateral Link Bolt from ****!
The 2000-04 had bolt-in bearing units, but the aftermarket does not supply the hub itself (the part with the studs and where the rotor sits). You must remove your hub and transfer to the new unit. Subaru used to sell the hub and bearing separately, but no more: only the 100% complete unit.

2005+ are sold as a pre-assembled, 100% complete unit (hub + bearing assembly).

True, gen 2 won't have to deal with ******* bolt (lateral link bolt), but a press-type arrangement is still required (unless using a Subaru unit).

Gen 3 can be done with hand tools only.

·
Registered
Outbacks, SVXs, XT6, 4Runner, Celica, Brat, E150s
793 Posts
00-04 (+ baja) had a bolt in bearing housing with the bearing pre-installed in it, and you press the hub out of it and transfer it to the new bearing.

We had an '05 Baja in here yesterday that needed a rear bearing, and when the tech pressed the hub out of the bearing, it was very different, no way that was transferring to the new bearing. I've suspected that the '05-'09 would fit, and it would make sense that someone may have looked up an '05 Legacy/Outback when this was worked on in the past. So we made some comparisons, and all looked good, so we tried it.....it sure enough, fit perfectly.

Really good news. OE bearing for the '00-'04 part number 28474AE0008A has an MSRP of $275.95. Bearing for the '05-'09, 28473AG00B, which is easier to change and includes a new hub flange and studs, MSRP of $150.95

Subaru used to sell the hub and bearing separately, but no more: only the 100% complete unit.
This is not correct. 28474AE0008A does not include the hub flange

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,624 Posts
00-04 (+ baja) had a bolt in bearing housing with the bearing pre-installed in it, and you press the hub out of it and transfer it to the new bearing.

We had an '05 Baja in here yesterday that needed a rear bearing, and when the tech pressed the hub out of the bearing, it was very different, no way that was transferring to the new bearing. I've suspected that the '05-'09 would fit, and it would make sense that someone may have looked up an '05 Legacy/Outback when this was worked on in the past. So we made some comparisons, and all looked good, so we tried it.....it sure enough, fit perfectly.

Really good news. OE bearing for the '00-'04 part number 28474AE0008A has an MSRP of $275.95. Bearing for the '05-'09, 28473AG00B, which is easier to change and includes a new hub flange and studs, MSRP of $150.95

This is not correct. 28474AE0008A does not include the hub flange

could you explain this again?

sounds like very good news but maybe I'm not reading it correctly???

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,935 Posts
hey man, would you know about my 01's front setup? for a bad bearing am i forced to take it down to the knuckle and have a shop press it out and press the new bearing onto the old hub? i've got a real bad one and need to do it asap

::EDIT::

so its looking like i need to bring it to a shop to press it out. are you aware of any long lasting aftermarket bearings that hold up, or pay the 120 for OEM bearing and 2 seals?
I don't recall what I paid but that sounds high... I buy mine from subaru so I don't have to worry about the grease- ones from subaru are pre-greased with good grease.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Well, the 2nd gen are not as "easy" as the 3rd gens, but they are a far cry from 1st gens.. You still need to "remove" the hub from the bearing assembly, but that can be done on the bench (or take it to a local machine shop/mechanic shop with a press).

However, if you want to pay extra but save time/hassle, Subaru is now selling the whole hub and bearing assembled now... it's $240 retail, but you won't have to swap the old hub. 2000-04 Outback, Legacy and 2003-06 Baja.

28473AE01A
@Numbchux

In my earlier post (above), I posted the E01A. The E0008A the bearing alone. The E01A is the replacement for the hub alone (which is NLA), which is cheaper, and complete. Hit the link above to see.

Edit: Also, I'd have to believe there's a reason why Subaru hasn't rolled the E01A into the G00B (the 05-09 BP/BL unit)... Maybe different ABS encoding ring? Different internal bearing design?

·
Registered
793 Posts
could you explain this again?

sounds like very good news but maybe I'm not reading it correctly???
Short version: We put the rear bearing for an '05-'09 Legacy/Outback on a Baja yesterday (which uses the same bearing as the '00-'04 Legacy/Outback), and it worked perfectly.

@Numbchux

In my earlier post (above), I posted the E01A. The E0008A the bearing alone. The E01A is the replacement for the hub alone (which is NLA), which is cheaper, and complete. Hit the link above to see.

Edit: Also, I'd have to believe there's a reason why Subaru hasn't rolled the E01A into the G00B (the 05-09 BP/BL unit)... Maybe different ABS encoding ring? Different internal bearing design?
Ah, I see. The hub flange part number supercedes to an assembly number, but the bearing is still available separately. Weird. We've never sold the AE01A assembly.

ABS tone ring on the 00-04 cars is part of the CV axle. It is part of the bearing assembly on the 05-09. So by using the newer bearing on the older car, you actually have an unused tone ring.

Full disclosure, the Baja I'm referring to came in with a failed ABS sensor on that corner, and we are waiting on the new one to arrive tomorrow, so it's possible that we'll encounter an issue then, but the Tech and I agreed that everything should be fine, and he'll be doing the labor for free if he's wrong....

Reactions: RoughDiamond

·
Registered
2004 Outback 2.5I (stock)
26 Posts
Short version: We put the rear bearing for an '05-'09 Legacy/Outback on a Baja yesterday (which uses the same bearing as the '00-'04 Legacy/Outback), and it worked perfectly.

Ah, I see. The hub flange part number supercedes to an assembly number, but the bearing is still available separately. Weird. We've never sold the AE01A assembly.

ABS tone ring on the 00-04 cars is part of the CV axle. It is part of the bearing assembly on the 05-09. So by using the newer bearing on the older car, you actually have an unused tone ring.

Full disclosure, the Baja I'm referring to came in with a failed ABS sensor on that corner, and we are waiting on the new one to arrive tomorrow, so it's possible that we'll encounter an issue then, but the Tech and I agreed that everything should be fine, and he'll be doing the labor for free if he's wrong....
Did this work? I damaged my rear hub on my '04 outback and having a heck of time finding the replacement rear hub to press into the bolt on bearing assembly.

Or does anyone have a part # for the rear hub alone? I would rather not shell out ~$250, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Did this work? I damaged my rear hub on my '04 outback and having a heck of time finding the replacement rear hub to press into the bolt on bearing assembly.

Or does anyone have a part # for the rear hub alone? I would rather not shell out ~$250, but if that's what it takes, that's what it takes.
Yep, worked just fine.

Subaru doesn't sell the hub flange by itself anymore. That number (28462AE01A) has been superceded to a complete hub assembly (28473AE01A).

I think your stuck with either a used hub flange, or complete hub assembly (either that updated number, or for an 05-09).

·
Registered
2004 Outback 2.5I (stock)
26 Posts
I think your stuck with either a used hub flange, or complete hub assembly (either that updated number, or for an 05-09).
Man alive, that is good news. I beat on my current hub flange so hard, that my wheel won't mount 'flush' to it anymore. Hence the need for a hub. I went ahead and hedged my bets and ordered one two days ago. So now just to get it installed. Which should only take about 30 min, you get pretty good on the 5th try.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts