Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I am new to this site, and came to it because i was rear ended a few weeks ago by an SUV. From the outside, the damage is almost non-existent--some paint came off the bumper--but when you get underneath the car, on the right side of the rear bumper, there is a metal rail that the bumper attaches to and that has cracked where there was a seam. The other side has a seam too, but it is not cracked. i don't think this is the frame of the car, but not quite sure what this part is called. Does anyone know? and any sense of the safety issues? The body shop said it would not affect driveability, but that it could be compromised if another accident would occur. They were unable to get the bumper off because it had kind of welded to the plate that I'm talking about, so it's difficult to fix. And then insurance has totaled out my car bc the damages exceeded the worth ($4500) and I opted to take it as a salvage vehicle, but am now concerned as i didn't see this crack until after i made that decision. Any advice, thoughts, are appreciated.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,308 Posts
the mounts and the cross beam are one piece that I "think" is welded into the car. or rusts in at this point.

advice: don't worry about it, if you were rear ended again that cross beam would be crushed just like the hatch.

I think the real forces go into the large white plastic beam, and the 2 mounts for it,
...and even on a well rusted car like mine I can stand on them and pound on them with a sedge hammer.

you can see the parts here (sedan on top, wagon on bottom):

https://www.quirkparts.com/auto-par...gine/body-cat/bumper-and-components-rear-scat

1 - 2 of 2 Posts