Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback H6 Sedan, 1996 Legacy Outback H4
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been documenting this car over on SL-i.net for the last few months and I realized today that I did not have a thread over here. This will be a gallery only thread, my discussion thread is over here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/52785-2004-sus-lifted-rs30-project-5.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Where it all started, the day I bought the car:

Front offset shot:

Front end closeup:

Front three quarter shot:

Rear end:

JDM Black Face Meter:

Center stack shot:

Modifications so far

Exterior said:
Sunroof Deflector Delete
JDM D type HID Headlights converted to flat beam pattern
JDM D type Aluminium Hood
JDM D type RS/RSK/RS30 Sedan style bumper
JDM D type Small-cell Honeycomb B4 grill
JDM Smoked Legacy tail lights and finisher panel
NMO Antenna mount on trunk lid
Hella Supertone Horns
New Subaru Crosstrek XV 17x7 wheels and Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 225/55R17 tires
Removed USDM trunk and door badges
JDM RS30 and "Piston 6" badges
USDM 4th Gen Legacy "Subaru" badge
Interior said:
JDM BFM Gauge Cluster (85015AE090 version)
Onstar Delete
Scangauge II
JDM S401 Red Hazard switch
Audio/Video said:
Alpine CDA-9886 with Red LED mod
Alpine MDA-5051 In-dash Minidisc Changer
Alpine KCE-350BT Ai-Net Bluetooth module
Sirius SC-C1 Satellite Radio
Alpine PXA-H100 Imprint System
Infinity Basslink II (Partially Installed)
Engine/Transmission said:
B&M Supercooler 70255 for Transmission cooling
KnuKonceptz 4GA CCA Grounding upgrade
Suspension said:
Currently stock.
Brakes said:
Currently stock
Exhaust said:
Currently stock
Future Plans said:
Install Infinity Basslink
Install Yaesu FT-7900 two-way radio
Sway-bar upgrades, undecided on what to do with that right now.

(Working on the pics that are missing. For a mirror thread, go here: http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/110-gen-2-2000-2004/52785-2004-sus-lifted-rs30-project.html Each thread has different comments. CARDOC)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Shortly after buying her, minor changes made at this point.

First, we start with the frontal 3/4 shot:

And the rear 3/4 shot:

Rear, straight on:

Closeup of stock spoiler, antenna, and rear lights:

NMO mount on trunk lid:

JDM HIDs:

Front, lights off:

Front, parking lights only:

Front, Headlights and Fogs on:

As promised, interior shots!

Front seat! If you look really carefully, you can see the front end of my 96 OBW in the windshield next to my landlords junk-filled garage..

Back seat!

Front seat interior:

Back seat, with my daughter hamming it up:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Headlight baking battle damage:

I did not really take many pictures, since it was already well documented in that other thread, but I do have one of the headlight apart..

And one after being painted! Actually this photo makes it look pretty sloppy, but in real life it is actually a really good finish.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As promised.. pictures of the disaster zone formerly known as my clean car. These were snapped off with my cellphone, so they are not the best.. then again the car really isnt in the best shape so it does not matter!

Back seat:

Front seat after I partially reassembled it for driving it home yesterday:

Center Stack as it is now:

Closeup of the Imprint unit velcro'd up into the dash:

New home for the Sirius tuner. It is actually not in this orientation as it was in the way of the cupholder. It now lays flat in about the same spot:

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today, I received a few presents for this car...

First up....

I swapped the mounting bracket from a USDM one, and then put them side by side for a comparison shot (this is why the USDM one now has the tabs going in the wrong direction):

And.. you can see them peaking out in the picture above.. the connectors for the JDM HID levelers!

So, I now have some projects for this weekend!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I managed to get a couple of small projects done today.

JDM Hazard switch. First, I cut off the original harness connector as it is just too short to do anything with, and I spliced on my 10" harness extension.. This was a big move for me as it is the first time I have cut into the original harness of this car, but I justify it by telling myself I am splicing in another piece of an original Subaru harness..

After taping the wires up, and tucking them above the radio, I now have a nice, easy to access disconnect for the Hazard switch.

All put back together with the shiny new S401 Hazard switch in place!

While I had the dash open, I snapped in the HID adjuster switch.

Since I have not yet tapped the windshield wiper defroster into the heated mirrors, I stashed the wiper switch into the cubby below. This is in no way permanent, just so that I retain its function in the meantime.

I also worked on my engine bay re-grounding. All 4 AWG Copper Clad Aluminium wire.

Battery to fender and Fender to intake:

From intake to Starter to throttle body to other side of intake and finally to passenger side strut tower:

I Armor-Alled the engine cover, air box, air filter box, and intake snorkel. I am quite surprised how much better it looks with that.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My daughter is off at a friends birthday party today, so I had some kid-free time this weekend to do a few projects.

So far I have installed the Minidisc Changer that I ordered from Japan... unfortunately, this required me taking out the center stack which was already pretty jammed packed.

This was my first arrangement, which I really liked, but I found out pretty quickly that it would not fit properly. I know from last time that the fold down pocket will not function properly in the bottom slot, and it turns out that neither will the fold down face of the changer.

This is a closeup of the changer itself, with one disc sticking out.

The mass of wiring behind this stack. I am very tempted to cut off the onstar connectors as they are quite large and are a waste of valuable space behind the center stack.

This is eventually what I settled on to make everything fit. The radio components are next to each other, and the standard pocket is back in the bottom location.

The changer also has a Graphic Spectrum Analyzer on it, that works in all modes. It is kind of neat, but not overly useful. I also snapped a photo of the final placement of my Scangauge II

Now I need to dig out all of my minidiscs... the only one that I had handy was some Shrek Sing-along disc I made for my daughter long ago.. LOL At least I know the player works properly with it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just hooked up my levelers, and they both seem to work.

I had just stuck the wires into the heated windshield connector for the Ground and Illumination circuits. The 12V incoming is being provided by an "Add-a-circuit" tap on the "Rear Wiper/Washer" fuse.

All buttoned up, and lit up (as much as you can tell in the daytime)

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Now that it is dark, I adjusted the levelers and made a quick video of it. click on this picture for the video from my cellphone.

I also snapped a few pictures of the radio in the dark. I guess I will need to replace the LEDs in the changer to red, like I did with the head unit.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Today was a bit cold, so I did not get much done. I pulled off the crooked SLI stickers and the Secor Subaru emblem. Tomorrow should be warmer, so I should be able to get the new SLi decals on there how they should be.

Otherwise, I tried to fit the honeycomb grill that I picked up from amgarrety before I did any changes to it. Unfortunately it does not fit properly with my outback bumper. There is nearly an inch gap between it and the top of the bumper :( So, back to the drawing board on that one...

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Huh, I apparently linked the wrong one in the first picture.. It was supposed to be the bottom shot here, but oh well!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Holy crap that was fast. This was shipped less than 35 hours ago!

The grill that is on it is pretty beat up, but the other one I have is in very good shape.

I am really surprised as to how light this hood is.. the whole package was just over 20kg, the hood has to be between 10-15kg on its own.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My smoked tails finally showed up, and I swapped on the finisher panel this morning. I have never seen the JDM smoked tails in real life before, I was a little surprised at how much darker they are, but they look real nice. They are a very welcome change to the car.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Debadge complete! I need to buff it out a little bit, but the badges themselves are off now. I still have no power in that building, but I ran an extension cord from a building that has a generator.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I also put on the Subaru logo that I have on the right side of the trunk. I have not put the RS30 or Piston 6 on yet..

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
JDM Headlight connectors:

I trimmed the metal on the drivers side and mounted the headlight. It is very very cold out today, even with the nose of the car in the equipment garage I needed to come in and warm up some before starting the passenger side.

Lights are in:

1 - 20 of 148 Posts