Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Outback H6 Sedan, 1996 Legacy Outback H4
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 SUS "Lifted RS30" project

I have been documenting this car over on SL-i.net for the last few months and I realized today that I did not have a thread over here. I will be copy-and-pasting most of the thread from SL-i over here, and I will keep it up to date going forward.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I bought this car in February of 2012 from Carlos at Secor Subaru in New London, CT. I had been on the hunt for a newer generation Outback to replace my aging 96 BG w/206k on it. I was originally looking at H6 wagons due to them being cheaper and just outright replace the one that I had, but in the back of my mind I really missed the sedan form factor. When I found this car local with the H6 and it not being that Seafoam Green that everyone seems to have, I decided that it was the car for me. I had never bought a car from a dealer before, but it ended up being a real smooth process thanks to Carlos and the rest of the people at Secor. Since this is a sedan, that would leave me without a larger vehicle capable of moving things, I decided to go ahead and keep the BG as well.. so now we are a 2 Subaru family once again!

This is the only really decent photo that I have, and it was still on the lot at Secor at the time.

Since then, I have been "slowly" converting the car into a Subaru Legacy RS30 replica. I am not ending up with a 100% accurate replica, but it is close enough for me to call it an "RS30". Currently, the front end is fully converted, and the badging has been fully changed over. I am working on acquiring all of the tinted glass from Japan for the rear half of the car, and some suspension modifications.

Front offset shot:

Front end closeup:

Rear three quarter shot:

Rear end:

Overall Dashboard shot:

VIN Plate for those interested in the various codes on it:

Running totals:
So far for the JDM bits, including the whole D-type front end, the BFM, badges, and whatnot.. I am sitting just over $5000 invested.

The wheels and tires were $1800.

Total (Including maintenance but excluding car purchase price): About $9300

Modifications so far

Exterior
Sunroof Deflector Delete
JDM D type HID Headlights converted to flat beam pattern and wired the Turn Assist lights
JDM D type Aluminium Non-Turbo Hood
JDM D type RS/RSK/RS25/RS30 Sedan style bumper
JDM D type B4 RS30/GT30 grill
JDM Smoked Legacy tail lights and finisher panel
USDM Legacy L/GT Front Fenders
Painted Spoiler brake light with Rust-oleum Lens Tint to match JDM tails.
JDM B4 Factory-tinted rear door windows
JDM B4 Factory-tinted rear windshield
JDM B4 rear windshield wiper
NMO Antenna mount on trunk lid
Hella Supertone Horns
USDM 2004 Outback 16x6.5 wheels with Yokohama Avid Envigor 225/60R16 tires (Future "Wintermode" wheels)
USDM Crosstrek XV 17x7 wheels and Sumitomo HTR A/S P01 225/55R17 tires (Currently in Hibernation for the Winter)
Removed USDM trunk and door badges
JDM RS30 and "Piston 6" badges
USDM 4th Gen Legacy "Subaru" badge
JDM Power folding heated mirrors converted to LHD.
JDM Subaru B4 Rain Visors
Independent fog light modification

Interior
JDM D type BFM Gauge Cluster Modified with Red Halos (85015AE090 version)
General Market D-type "Silver Hair" dash trim in LHD.
3-Switch Coin Pocket for LHD General Market
Onstar Delete
Scangauge II
JDM Legacy S401 Red Hazard switch
JDM D-type Headlight Leveler switch from a 2002 GT-B (Takes place of Front Wiper De-icer switch)
Connected Front Wiper De-icer system and side mirror heaters into Rear Defogger system
Modified Keyless Entry for single-stage unlock
Auto HVAC controls Modified for Metric temperature readout
Full Black/Grey interior swap from a USDM Legacy and Outback.
Brand new Grey carpet and Grey "Legacy" branded mats
JDM MOMO Steering Wheel with Sportshift controls (not connected... yet)

Audio/Video
Pioneer DEH-P8400BH Headunit with Bluetooth and HD Radio
Carrozzeria/Pioneer MDS-P7000 In-dash Addon Minidisc Player (Not yet installed)
Carrozzeria/Pioneer MD-P100II 6 Disc Minidisc Changer (Not yet installed)
Pioneer CD-SB10 Sirius IP-Net Adapter
Sirius SC-C1 Satellite Radio
Apple iPod Photo 5.5th Gen 30Gb
Infinity Reference 6032si Shallow 6.5" Speakers in the front
Infinity Basslink II

Engine/Transmission
B&M Supercooler 70255 for Transmission cooling
KnuKonceptz 4GA CCA Grounding upgrade
JDM "Boxer 6" Engine Cover

Suspension
Front
KYB Excel-G/GR-2 Struts #334445 and #334446 in Front
Stock Outback springs
Whiteline BSF14X 22mm Front Sway Bar
Moog K80693 Front Swaybar links

Rear
KYB Excel-G/GR-2 Shocks #341276 in Rear
KYB SM5214 Rear Shock Mounts in Rear
Stock Outback springs
Whiteline BSR12XZ 20mm Adjustable Rear Sway Bar set to firm setting
Moog K80426 Rear Swaybar links

Brakes
Front
GC8 4-Pot Front Brakes (not yet installed)
2007 Impreza WRX front rotors (not yet installed)
Rear
Currently Stock

Exhaust
Currently stock

FuturePlans
Install Infinity Basslink
Pioneer Double-DIN Navigation unit
JDM sidemarker turn signals
JDM 4 Pot Front brakes (not yet installed)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have no real decent photos between the above from the day I bought her, to anything below which is as of today (2012/10/05).

I used the fairly good automatic car-was today, and took her to the old high school parking lot where I could get some decent photos without a lot of cars and houses around.

First, we start with the frontal 3/4 shot:

And the rear 3/4 shot:

Rear, straight on:

Closeup of stock spoiler, antenna, and rear lights:

NMO mount on trunk lid:

JDM HIDs:

Front, lights off:

Front, parking lights only:

Front, Headlights and Fogs on:

Front seat! If you look really carefully, you can see the front end of my 96 OBW in the windshield next to my landlords junk-filled garage..

Back seat!

Front seat interior:

Back seat, with my daughter hamming it up:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I finally located myself a headlight leveling switch for this car, but it will not be here for at least a week.. The only one I could find was the entire trim panel with the three switch locations from a JDM car, so I guess I will have an extra foglight switch as well.

The next issue I have is what to do with it, as all three switch locations are filled on my car.. Fog, Cruise, and Wiper heaters.. I guess if I can hack cruise to be permanently enabled, that would work.. Or is there a cruise joystick from another generation that has a button on it end for enable that I can hack in?

In other news, I completely forgot to put the Transmission cooler in my list of mods, so that has been added, hah!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just realized that I never put a photo of the engine bay.. Not that there is a whole lot to look at with the big engine cover on top, but at least you can see the Supertones and tranny cooler. Oh, and the fall leaves that have accumulated in one night already..

I snapped this off with my cellphone just before I pulled the passenger light out to mod it. Doing that now.. waiting on the oven to get to temp!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all done! I am a big fan of the flat beam pattern. Once I have the levelers connectors in hand, I will be able to finish that and be finally done with these headlights.

I unfortunately burned myself when separating this light.. I was focusing so much on getting the two halves apart, I did not notice that my forearm was pressing against the adjustment screw... I now have a great perfectly headlight-aiming-screw-shaped blister! If I look really carefully at it, I can see the philips head dent where it didn't blister.. lol

I did not really take many pictures, since it was already well documented in that other thread, but I do have one of the headlight apart..

And one after being painted! Actually this photo makes it look pretty sloppy, but in real life it is actually a really good finish.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As promised.. pictures of the disaster zone formerly known as my clean car. These were snapped off with my cellphone, so they are not the best.. then again the car really isnt in the best shape so it does not matter!

Center Stack

Back seat:

Front seat after I partially reassembled it for driving it home yesterday:

Center Stack as it is now:

Closeup of the Imprint unit velcro'd up into the dash:

New home for the Sirius tuner. It is actually not in this orientation as it was in the way of the cupholder. It now lays flat in about the same spot:

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today, I received a few presents for this car...

First up....

I swapped the mounting bracket from a USDM one, and then put them side by side for a comparison shot (this is why the USDM one now has the tabs going in the wrong direction):

And.. you can see them peaking out in the picture above.. the connectors for the JDM HID levelers!

So, I now have some projects for this weekend!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I managed to get a couple of small projects done today.

First up.. SL-i Represent!

I put the text above the finishing panel.. but I am not very happy with it here, I also realize that I put the "Subaru Legacy" part too high, and it throws off the whole line.. I guess it is a good thing I bought two decals!

Next, I tackled the Hazard switch. First, I cut off the original harness connector as it is just too short to do anything with, and I spliced on my 10" harness extension.. This was a big move for me as it is the first time I have cut into the original harness of this car, but I justify it by telling myself I am splicing in another piece of an original Subaru harness..

After taping the wires up, and tucking them above the radio, I now have a nice, easy to access disconnect for the Hazard switch.

All put back together with the shiny new S401 Hazard switch in place!

While I had the dash open, I snapped in the HID adjuster switch.

Since I have not yet tapped the windshield wiper defroster into the heated mirrors, I stashed the wiper switch into the cubby below. This is in no way permanent, just so that I retain its function in the meantime.

I also worked on my engine bay re-grounding. All 4 AWG Copper Clad Aluminium wire.

Battery to fender and Fender to intake:

From intake to Starter to throttle body to other side of intake and finally to passenger side strut tower:

I Armor-Alled the engine cover, air box, air filter box, and intake snorkel. I am quite surprised how much better it looks with that.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
My daughter is off at a friends birthday party today, so I had some kid-free time this weekend to do a few projects.

So far I have installed the Minidisc Changer that I ordered from Japan... unfortunately, this required me taking out the center stack which was already pretty jammed packed.

This was my first arrangement, which I really liked, but I found out pretty quickly that it would not fit properly. I know from last time that the fold down pocket will not function properly in the bottom slot, and it turns out that neither will the fold down face of the changer.

This is a closeup of the changer itself, with one disc sticking out.

The mass of wiring behind this stack. I am very tempted to cut off the onstar connectors as they are quite large and are a waste of valuable space behind the center stack.

This is eventually what I settled on to make everything fit. The radio components are next to each other, and the standard pocket is back in the bottom location.

The changer also has a Graphic Spectrum Analyzer on it, that works in all modes. It is kind of neat, but not overly useful. I also snapped a photo of the final placement of my Scangauge II

Now I need to dig out all of my minidiscs... the only one that I had handy was some Shrek Sing-along disc I made for my daughter long ago.. LOL At least I know the player works properly with it.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I may.. It depends on what I end up doing in the BG. I have a double-din CD/MD deck for it, but I also picked up an MD only radio that came with this changer.. Give me a week to figure out what I am going to do, and I will let you know.

Unfortunately, with all of the Alpine gear in there, all that wiring is necessary. I have 3 Ai-Net devices, and the Bluetooth module on the Fullspeed Net along with the iPod cable. There is still all of the Onstar harness in there as well, which takes up quite a bit of room.

Otherwise.. I just hooked up my levelers, and they both seem to work. It got too cold outside, and it is too bright outside to see them actually working, but I can hear the motors turning when I adjust the setting. I snapped a few real quick pictures before I came in, as it is really windy and cold out there right now.

I had just stuck the wires into the heated windshield connector for the Ground and Illumination circuits. The 12V incoming is being provided by an "Add-a-circuit" tap on the "Rear Wiper/Washer" fuse.

All buttoned up, and lit up (as much as you can tell in the daytime)

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now that it is dark, I adjusted the levelers and made a quick video of it. click on this picture for the video from my cellphone.

I also snapped a few pictures of the radio in the dark. I guess I will need to replace the LEDs in the changer to red, like I did with the head unit.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Today was a bit cold, so I did not get much done. I pulled off the crooked SLI stickers and the Secor Subaru emblem. Tomorrow should be warmer, so I should be able to get the new SLi decals on there how they should be.

Otherwise, I tried to fit the honeycomb grill that I picked up from amgarrety before I did any changes to it. Unfortunately it does not fit properly with my outback bumper. There is nearly an inch gap between it and the top of the bumper :( So, back to the drawing board on that one...

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am waiting for the phone call so that I can pick up my rims today, I will reveal them this afternoon ;)

For the grill, I have decided to butcher up the original Outback one. I ordered a new badge and some hex mesh to install and I will plastidip the whole thing. I just need to find my dremel and hack out the old plastic bits. I do not think I can bring myself to spending hundreds of dollars on a replacement bumper just for a grill, especially when I like the bumper that I have, heh.

As for the new cluster, I received some more bits over the weekend, and I am just waiting on the last part before I can begin assembly of the new and improved adapter.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I do not believe I ever used the word "aftermarket" to describe these... ;)

So, I picked up these rims from Dan Perkins Subaru, aka Subarupartsforyou.com. They are located in Milford, CT which is about an hour-ish drive from my office. The reason why I hadn't shown photos of the rims until now, is that I haven't opened the box until about 5 minutes ago.

Enough with the blah-blah.. these are them!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Huffer said:
I am pretty sure your existing center caps will snap in. You could easily paint your center caps to match and snap them in.

I received the new caps today. They are the same as the 4th gen Legacy caps, except painted in the gunmetal color, the part number on the package is 28821FJ000, indicating the XV model, but the cap itself has 28821SA030, which is the part number for the Legacy caps.

I have not looked closely at my 3rd gen caps, but they look different on this website.

Unfortunately, money is a little tight when I have to come up with several hundred dollars for home heating oil.. so tires are going to have to wait a bit :( I also need to let the wife cool down a bit too as the conversation went something like this.. "You spent HOW MUCH on these?.. and that does not even include the tires?"... She knew I was going to buy them, but I guess I never ended up telling her how much they were going to be..

In the meantime, I hope to get the struts installed this weekend, assuming the weather holds out.

Also.. a photo of the rim with its center cap installed!

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The only issue I have with these rims is that they are much more open than the old ones. I need to do something about my rusty calipers.. I suppose I could paint them with some black exhaust paint..

Also, these tires are great! They are nearly silent! There is not much snow and ice left around here to try out.. but the dry and wet roads today were great! It also looks like one of the old fronts was out of balance, as my slight steering wheel shimmy is gone now too.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Since I posted these pictures, I have taken the car out for another drive. So far I have put about 100 miles on these tires.

My speedometer is more accurate. Before when reading "70" on the speedo, my GPS would say 67-68... now it reads 68-69. After trying a range of speeds, I would say that the speedo and OBDII data it is about 3% faster now, instead of the 5% that it used to be.

I has been too warm today, and all the ice and snow has been melting, but it feels like I have overall better grip with these tires.. I am very very happy that I stuck it out and found these locally instead of settling with the Falkens.

I also ordered a set of black lug nuts, the ones that I have are not in the best of shape, and I think that the black on the dark grey rim will go together nicely.

Since the Tokico's are sold now, I also bought a pair of GR-2s for just the rear right now. The passenger side shock has a bit of a rattle so I will replace them both at the same time. The fronts will be done when it gets a little warmer outside.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not too much new, but I am on the upswing from my Flu. I took a little bit of time and changed out my lugnuts with the new black ones. I think they look pretty good, but I am a little disappointed that they got scratched up just by putting them on. I thought they were powder coated, but I guess they were just painted.

The new nuts are about twice as long overall as the original ones. they stick out a bit, but not past the wheel itself. I am not 100% sure if I like the way that looks, so I will have to give it some time before I decide.

This post will be updated with pictures shortly.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Holy crap that was fast. This was shipped less than 35 hours ago!

The grill that is on it is pretty beat up, but the other one I have is in very good shape.

I am really surprised as to how light this hood is.. the whole package was just over 20kg, the hood has to be less than 15kg on its own.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts