Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok so i think it might be the starter? weired clicking noise from the engine compartment. I have tried three different batteries, a jump box, a starter/charger and jumped it from a transit. Thinking it might be a bad started ideas and or thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took the starter off and had it tested it passed with no problems. Had all three batteries checked and they were fine as well. So now the question is what else could it be.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think it is either in the dead center of the engine area or if your looking right at the front on the right side. I was wondering what a bad relay might sound like any ideas?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
You need to describe under what conditions it makes the noise.
Otherwise no one can help you.

·
Registered
16,967 Posts
iffy starter with iffy cables might be the problem. Take the starter out and bench test it, it works. But, in the car, the iffy cables and/or ground connections reduce the power to the starter just enough that it can't fully engage the solenoid.

you should try to measure the voltage at the terminals on the starter while starting. Sometimes cables can be corroded inside the insulation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
4 Participants
1 Lucky Texan
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing