Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1993 Legacy wagon AWD and 5MT | 2005 Outback 5MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently got a 2005 Outback, so far the only issue I'm having is with the driver's door lock. It's currently stuck open, will not lock with the key or the remote. I took the panel off today to put in a new window switch assembly and noticed that the white plastic piece on the lock actuator cable was broken. I messed around with that before deciding I'd need to replace it somehow, put the door back together, and it then wouldn't unlock. I managed to pry it back open from the outside while turning the key, and it's back to not locking. So at least I can get in without climbing over the passenger seat.

My question is, how do I go about fixing this? I'm not finding the cables for sale anywhere individually, they all come attached to the full actuator assembly. Which is kind of pricey at $60+. Can I just get a cheaper actuator for any of the other doors (coming in around $20 each), and just pull the cable off that and attach it to the driver door assembly? Or is the whole unit nonserviceable? In which case, has anyone figured out an alternative for these little plastic pieces on the cables?

For reference, here's the piece I'm talking about:

·
Registered
91 Posts
$60 doesn't sound bad. You have already done the hard work taking the door apart. You could try a "you pull it" place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18,296 Posts
Or is the whole unit nonserviceable? In which case, has anyone figured out an alternative for these little plastic pieces on the cables?
The white cable that's at the inner door handle assembly shown in the diagram above goes to the latch assembly on rear part of the door. Both the outer part of that cable and the inner moving wire are attached to the latch assembly in a way that it can't be replaced without removing the latch assembly from the door, at which point the whole assembly might as well be replaced rather than just the cable.

The question that I have is whether or not the white lock/unlock cable, if it were properly attached to the inner door handle assembly, would work, i.e., would rotating the manual lock control on the handle assembly allow the latch to be locked and unlocked?

The center part of the cable moves in and out about 1/2-inch. When it's pulled out from the cable the door latch is locked; when it's pushed into the cable the door latch is unlocked. If that doesn't work to lock and unlock the latch assembly, then there's a problem at the latch assembly itself in addition to the broken plastic retainer at the inside handle end of the cable.

·
Registered
1993 Legacy wagon AWD and 5MT | 2005 Outback 5MT
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ve actually started to wonder that as well, because when I hit the lock button, nothing seems to happen to the driver side lock. I don’t hear it trying to actuate anything. I’m just going to go to the scrapyard and pull out a replacement assembly, will update if that works.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts