Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'11 Outback Premium w/CVT
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There may be some of you who have done this already and those who are still wondering how to. I feel stupid that I waited this long to deactivate the DRL's being that it was such a simple step.

Full credit goes to Deer Killer on the Legacy GT forum....http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/drl-disable-10-minutes-2117.html

This was exactly as described in the step by step in his instructions and 10 min was max time taken!!! For 2005-2006 only. I just electrician tape the plug to the other plug so it doesnt rattle. Everything still works as normal, low and high beams and fog lights and marker lights afterwards.

For 2007 thru 2009 same steps but when you get to the plug you can either cut the blue/black wire or remove the bu/bl wire from the plug and plug back in.

Wish i would have looked this up 7 years ago! Would have saved 4 light bulb replacements at $20/ea.
Also I would think that the DRL put an additional load on the battery and alternator system.

Hope this helps anyone on here.

·
Registered
2006 Outback 2.5i Limited 5MT, 1984 Porsche 944
276 Posts
I would advise against disabling DRL. They serve a real purpose of drastically increasing visibility even during idea lighting conditions. $80 spent on light bulbs over 7 years is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
+1 with ScoobRu. I'm always amazed at how many folks drive in the rain without their lights on. At least DRLs give them some chance of not being hit by someone changing lanes into their lane.

It's not about how well you can see in the daytime (esp. sunrise and twilight), but about how well others can see you. It is estimated that they prevent between 7-10% daytime accidents. That doesn't seem like a lot until you realize there are about 255 million cars on the road in the U.S. So, the DRLs could reduce about 17,850,000 accidents a year. Still no big deal unless you're one of those 17.85 million.

Folks around my parts drive HUGE SUVs and pickups. They'd win against my little Subie. $80 seems like a small price to pay for some insurance against the other guy.

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
343 Posts
The link posted already discusses those concerns. There is some validity both ways.
I prefer to activate my own lighting. The drl's give a false security. They only light the front of the vehicle. NO taillights, so there's a chance you will think you are safe at night and not be seen from the rear.

·
Registered
'11 Outback Premium w/CVT
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also if it were such a safety issue it would be required by law. Also every car manufacturer would have it in every model car but as you can see maybe 30% of vehicles in my area have drls when you pass them. Tells me not all car makers think it's that critical a component.

·
Registered
Onyx, 2008 LL Bean 3.0R and 2017 Honda Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
4,111 Posts
Also if it were such a safety issue it would be required by law.
Not exactly sure how long seatbelts have been in cars, but they only made a law requiring them in MD about 5 years ago. The wheels of government and common sense (not meant personally) grind slowly.
They only light the front of the vehicle. NO taillights, so there's a chance you will think you are safe at night and not be seen from the rear.
I'd recommend using all your lights at night. That's what they're for. The Daytime running lights are for daytime like the name suggests.

I know this thread started as a way to turn them off and I respect everyone's right to do that (unless that law gets passed). But if I saw a thread talking about removing seatbelts or disabling airbags I'd still add my 2 cents worth. Maybe it's because I'm a dad of two near driving aged teenagers that my concern level is elevated. Maybe I'm just nosy. :)

·
Registered
2005 OBW LL Bean
6 Posts
I did that, and it turned off my DRL's, but then the CEL light came on and the cruise indicator light started flashing. I disconnected the battery, and plugged the plug back in. Drove the car and so far no warning lights. Need to add, my car is a 12/04 build.

·
Registered
2005 xt limited gone but not forgotten
343 Posts
Not exactly sure how long seatbelts have been in cars, but they only made a law requiring them in MD about 5 years ago. The wheels of government and common sense (not meant personally) grind slowly.
I'd recommend using all your lights at night. That's what they're for. The Daytime running lights are for daytime like the name suggests.

I know this thread started as a way to turn them off and I respect everyone's right to do that (unless that law gets passed). But if I saw a thread talking about removing seatbelts or disabling airbags I'd still add my 2 cents worth. Maybe it's because I'm a dad of two near driving aged teenagers that my concern level is elevated. Maybe I'm just nosy. :)
DP,
Sorry, I just got a chance to check this thread. You and I are both commenting from a safety issue. What you may have misunderstood from my post is that the driver can begin driving at night and not realize his rear lighting is NOT on if the DRL's are in automatic mode. Therefore creating a greater safety hazard without tails lit. With the DRL's disconnected there is NO chance of driving at night without taillights because you would have to manual turn your lights on to see in front of you.
The safety risk is greater without taillights at night than without DRL's during the daylight hours. And, of course, you can always turn your lights on every time you get in the car.
(also with two boys.... one owning the Subie.)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also if it were such a safety issue it would be required by law. Also every car manufacturer would have it in every model car but as you can see maybe 30% of vehicles in my area have drls when you pass them. Tells me not all car makers think it's that critical a component.
Here in Canada our nanny state mandates them in all vehicles. You won't get pulled over for not having them but there have been numerous studies proving they save lives.

Serotta: on DRL cars there is usually a dim dash light (visible at night) telling you you're using DRLs.. you'd have to be hammered drunk to forget to turn them on.

Finally I'm really impressed with how the outback's DRLs are implemented (low voltage highbeams on my car).. these are more visible in daytime than regular lowbeams.

·
Registered
2007 Outback LTD
53 Posts
Just done this mod, on a 2007 Outback LTD, I lowered the DRL module, for ease of access and cut the Blue/Grey wire on the white plug taped it up out of the way and re fitted everything and all is good in my world!! No stupid Drl light on the dash and better still no lights on all the time. Thanks for posting this.

·
Registered
2005 Outback-Legacy i (base) trim with 2.5L, AWD 4AT
8 Posts
Another downside to DRLs is that a driver may not realize that the headlamps are not on. This happened when my daughter borrowed the car, and I was out of country. She complained that the headlights were weak. It turned out, they weren't on at all. Like many people today, she is used to the modern cars that turn on headlights automatically.

·
Premium Member
2007 2.5 L Obsidian Black Outback XTL
602 Posts
Another downside to DRLs is that a driver may not realize that the headlamps are not on. This happened when my daughter borrowed the car, and I was out of country. She complained that the headlights were weak. It turned out, they weren't on at all. Like many people today, she is used to the modern cars that turn on headlights automatically.
Making the mistake of not turning on your headlights while driving at night and instead just thinking that you have weak headlights (DRL's) also means you have no marker or rear lights. You can get plowed in to by someone else.

I like DRL's but also I make sure that I have turned on all of the lights at dusk or in the rain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts