Subaru Outback Forums banner

521 - 531 of 531 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Subaru Outback Wagon LLBean 3.0R Automatic
808 Posts
Replacing rear wheel bearings recently, made a huge improvement for my 2006, w over 200k miles.

The car now holds a line in a curve with no weird fishtail sway.

Imo ghostwalking in this case, would have meant the rear wheels were wobbling and changing position when turning

·
Registered
2 Posts
Wow, thread still going! I must have replied to this thread years ago. I never have had an issue in my 09 3.0R on dry or wet roads, but don't drive much in the snow. If I have to drive in the snow I take my 04 Outback sedan. The main reason is its a 2.5 and doesn't have the power of the 3.0 and it's lower then the 09.

·
Registered
2005 Outback 3.0R VDC 5eat , 2'' lift
1,357 Posts
would lift make it worse ? am i mistaken or 2'' lift is not tht easy to do on 3rd gen anymore. ?? it was simple on 2nd gen though. and now most people just complain of something, but i looked at front suspensions and i saw may good stuff that changed from 2bd gen there, sway bar links now used same as was in rear. so you can allways find longer links for that front with lift now. win win.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
So yh this was first one for me. Just this morning and its not snow on road was just maybe some wet road and it was like -1 celcious outside. Road looked ok but suddenly at about 90km/h speed it looked like car want to loose control like rear started to go to side or something, good that my trip was just 10 min long. So i dropped speed but still it did that couple more times... Wow wtf i thougt.
I lifted car 2" and its rear is on self leveling struts.
But it was fine in rain on wet roads never had that before.
So that was some experience there. Not happy about that

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
322 Posts
So yh this was first one for me. Just this morning and its not snow on road was just maybe some wet road and it was like -1 celcious outside. Road looked ok but suddenly at about 90km/h speed it looked like car want to loose control like rear started to go to side or something, good that my trip was just 10 min long. So i dropped speed but still it did that couple more times... Wow wtf i thougt.
I lifted car 2" and its rear is on self leveling struts.
But it was fine in rain on wet roads never had that before.
So that was some experience there. Not happy about that
Time to get the parts to finish the lift correctly :) hows your alignment look?

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
You mean trailing arm spacer in rear. Yh i need that but its cold outside. Alignment not perfect i think. But it was fine on wet road so hmmm . Was waiting because thought i will put new tires and then do all things with those.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Was waiting because thought i will put new tires
so the rear or your car came loose on snow?
what kind of tires, how much remaining tread deptth
what kind of snow, how deep, how frozen

I would not assume your car has a ghost, it sounds like it just needs new rubber...

·
Registered
2005 Outback VDC limited 3.0r
322 Posts

I would not assume your car has a ghost, it sounds like it just needs new rubber...
Look at this entire thread. It does not matter what tires you have, on/off throttle. In some instances it feels as if the rear end is kicking loose/swaying. I have experienced even with snow tires that had 10/32nds left. Even all seasons at 12/32nds. It only really seems to effect certain vehicles in certain circumstances. It's just due to the suspension design and alignment. Since he is lifted 2in, and it's not done with all the correct components, his alignment is way out of spec.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts

i bought car with this rubber i think its almost new some winter tires there. looks good too those tires

i did lift and removed rear sway bar. it was not on snow , just was kinda wet road maybe and it was some cold so it might be some sliperry. and it was kinda scary that car was not driving straight, so i lowered speed some then it happened couple more times. but same day today i drove car at home same road , nothing happened anymore.
after lift i didint do aligment and i can see that rear wheels are not like perfectly on same line i think they did turned some maybe , just slightly.
but its unknown if that because lift or just because road was some slippery on that moment.
i know people said change rear shocks to earlier generation shocks but my shocks are self leveling , so maybe they not have same problems as normal shocks.
in front i have still sway bar and in rear i removed it , but i did same on my 2001 removed both sway bars and never had this kin of problem, and had bad alignment on that car too and never had problem like this.
i will do alignment after couple days maybe and then i see, if it will be slippery road again im not sure what weather will be here.

·
Registered
808 Posts
thanks for the info. Your tires look excellent. Now lets also eliminate any inflation errors. Set the front tires to 32psi, and the rear to 30psi, just before you start driving in the morning. (If your doorjamb uses different values, use the doorjamb values.)

an overinflated rear will be loose.. we dont want overinflated rear.

Is the the car empty, no heavy load in the trunk, no loaded roof box?

I just want to get your inflation set to stock so you can work from a predictable baseline. Do NOT put more air in the rear than the front (unless you are carrying heavy Cargo in the trunk.

regarding having removed the swaybar, well.. that is NOT normal.. put it back on.

just my opinions...

In my experience the things that made a BIG difference in handling, on MY car w over 200k miles:

1. new rear upper forward control arms (the rubber bushings go bad)

2. Front lower control arms (more bad rubber bits)

3. New wheel bearings

4. swaybar endlinks are NOT a significant variable, but are cheap to replace if you find any of them are damaged.

5. New stock shocks of the same type front and rear (do NOT put gen2 shocks on rear, they are too stiff and will help kick your tail out on loose surfaces)

How many miles on your car? How many miles on your shocks?

Get the car aligned. Replace anything that prevents a proper alignment.

Yes if all this fails, Im going to tell you to remove the lift, especially if you only lifted the rear and not the front.

I want all front and rear configurations to be matched.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
did nothing . now drove couple days longer distances on highways and its started to wet snow on road , its not slippery so much but not normal too and nothing happening anymore no ghostwalking no anything weird.
after previous thing i rechecked tire preasures and its was diffferent on both rear wheels not by mutch but some still. and now its drives straight no problem.

521 - 531 of 531 Posts