Subaru Outback Forums banner

1541 - 1560 of 1595 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Question. Would the bad struts do damage to the front control arm bushings? Asking for a friend.. who looks like me
They will certainly contribute to the degradation.

·
Registered
585 Posts
FYI

While researching parts, i found out Whiteline is having a sale on the endlinks KLC144 for $99.20 and also found a Whiteline BSR39Z on amazon for 188.17. Not jump out of you seat prices but the discounts are nice.

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
FYI

While researching parts, i found out Whiteline is having a sale on the endlinks KLC144 for $99.20
Also FYI. I don't know whether call these junk, or not.

They were on Frankie for about 3 years. Only about 7K miles and the boots are done. The car sat for 18 months during that time. The last 18. I can't figure out if this is just the Colorado heat, or the boots suck.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Awesome markups, Traildog, thank you.

I will measure the lateral locks that came installed with the WL RSB (as seen in the picture), maybe they were not installed correctly at factor...

Once that is centered, I will tighten the nut after making sure the ball joints are as parallel as possible. I think extra washers will help get to get the links to be more 90* than it is now.
Just wondering if you were able to correct the issues you were having

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Just wondering if you were able to correct the issues you were having
Issues, with the links canting to one side?

I set them up straight on the car, like I suggested. I need to get some more pictures up. I actually shortened them and put them on Cherry. The sway bar angle on the leg was at about 30* up.

However, just on quick drive and the links canted to one side and stay that way. I think this contributed to the boot failure at the spring clip on one side. However, the boots themselves are just degrading, like they are old.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Also FYI. I don't know whether call these junk, or not.

They were on Frankie for about 3 years. Only about 7K miles and the boots are done. The car sat for 18 months during that time. The last 18. I can't figure out if this is just the Colorado heat, or the boots suck.
Thanks for the update and pic! What endlink are on now?

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Thanks for the update and pic! What endlink are on now?
Same WL, in the shorten form. They are not worn out, the ball and socket are still tight. I am going to continue to run them and periodically inject grease into the boot through the tears. I think they should be expected to last similar to stock IMPO. I am going to get my monies worth out of them. Besides I need them until I can either source some OEM LGT rear end-links or another aftermarket designed for a lower car.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Same WL, in the shorten form. They are not worn out, the ball and socket are still tight. I am going to continue to run them and periodically inject grease into the boot through the tears. I think they should be expected to last similar to stock IMPO. I am going to get my monies worth out of them. Besides I need them until I can either source some OEM LGT rear end-links or another aftermarket designed for a lower car.
By the way those JDM legs are sexy !

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Theses ? ...

You can have your own set here for $700 plus. Decent deal, good deal, Likely shipping kills the deal. I got just the trailing arms, trailing arm brackets and upper control arms...bead blasted and completely re-bushinged. $350 picked up. (the OB trailing arm brackets need to be retained, I still have OB subframe spacers on Cherry) Mike is selling with the backing plates, rear hubs, and the rear lateral links included also. Granted it's all 10 year sold and 15k miles. I just thought I would share if anyone is interested.

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ca-2008-specb-15k-orig-miles-complete-part-out-270633.html?t=270633

The ride difference is dramatic. I expect a huge part of that is having all new bushings vs 145K miles and 13 years on the road. Particularly the large pillow-ball. The NVH has gone up a little. Similar to the front aluminum LCA. I notice it more than a stock car would. Keep in mind Cherry is no squishy OB. She rides like an STI. It's too bad Subaru only saw fit to spec these on the SpecB Legacy sedan for the US market. I suspect it was mostly cost, however it may have been an NVH issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stock replacement struts for an 08 H6; still the KYB Excel-G as the go-to? And with stock springs?

Doing top-hats at the same time, go with OEM or aftermarket (and if so, which?)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Yep on the KYB, not sure if there's any new options but I doubt it. Stock springs are fine. Moog makes some top hats for a lot less than OEM & quality is as good or better - try Rockauto.com. There are a few others out there for less that seem fine too but haven't tried them all.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2008 Outback suspension and lift...

Gidday Guys, Apologies in advance, if I have managed to log this request incorrectly. Pretty new to this Tech stuff and bloody kangaroos jumping all over the keyboard.
The “ Trouble and strife”.. wife...has a 2008 OB. Not a bad little Brumby, but needs a bit of a lift and at 325k with a few rattles I’d just like to replace the whole suspension. Shoes and all, If needed. We are in NSW Australia if that holds any relevance!
Can any of you diggers recommend a good supplier or shop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
585 Posts
2008 Outback suspension and lift...

Gidday Guys, Apologies in advance, if I have managed to log this request incorrectly. Pretty new to this Tech stuff and bloody kangaroos jumping all over the keyboard.
The “ Trouble and strife”.. wife...has a 2008 OB. Not a bad little Brumby, but needs a bit of a lift and at 325k with a few rattles I’d just like to replace the whole suspension. Shoes and all, If needed. We are in NSW Australia if that holds any relevance!
Can any of you diggers recommend a good supplier or shop?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
For sure whiteline is based in Oz.

Whiteline Performance Suspension ? Activate More Grip

Other than that maybe some other Australian Subie owners can roger up to parts suppliers

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
CKE SSP ships sway bar bushings, rear sway bar brackets and transmission inserts to Australia pretty cheap.

·
Registered
585 Posts
CKE SSP ships sway bar bushings, rear sway bar brackets and transmission inserts to Australia pretty cheap.
Im going to need to order a set of RSB brackets soon. I went on a road trip between Frederick MD and Pittzsburgh. driving behind the Semis seemed to cause the car to shimmy (maybe ghostwalk) the only thing that helped reduce it was constant acceleration :surprise:

Do you do Front bushings for Gen3 or is everyone just recommending OEM?

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Do you do Front bushings for Gen3 or is everyone just recommending OEM?
I have 2 versions, the 1st is a direct copy of the OEM for 20005-2009

The second is a bushing and strap kit. The bushing is a modified 2015-2018 Ouback, 21mm front and the strap is off a 2017 Impreza. (the bushing shown here is a modified CrossTrek 22mm, the 21mm fits the same)

I am running this set up on Cherry right now since I run the srock front bar on that car.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I have 2 versions, the 1st is a direct copy of the OEM for 20005-2009

The second is a bushing and strap kit. The bushing is a modified 2015-2018 Ouback, 21mm front and the strap is off a 2017 Impreza. (the bushing shown here is a modified CrossTrek 22mm, the 21mm fits the same)

I am running this set up on Cherry right now since I run the srock front bar on that car.
Does the beefier bracket help firm up the ride?

·
Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Does the beefier bracket help firm up the ride?
It actually quiets it down a bit. Here is a cross section of each. They both weigh the same, so the same amount of rubber. However, the newer design uses that rubber more effectively. The strap envelopes around all of "rubber" cushion. Where the original Gen3 used a small strap enveloped and kept in place by part of the rubber cushion. In short, you get more mass, reaction and better damping of the impacts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did it... I skimmed but I read through the whole thread.

Hey everyone. I just bought a 2005 Outback with just under 200k miles. I purchased it figuring that I would have to do struts and plenty of bushings to get it to drive well, just given the miles.

Based on the first few pages, I probably would have gone 05+ KYB up front and 04- KYB in the rear. After reading the whole thing I'll probably stick with 05's all around.

Someone near me is selling used RalliTEK springs for a good price. 0 lift fronts and 0.4" lift rears. Can anyone comment on how those work with 05 KYB's all around? Too stiff for driving with no weight in the car? I wouldn't be considering them at full price, but the guy isn't asking much for them used.

1541 - 1560 of 1595 Posts
About this Discussion
1.6K Replies
238 Participants
atchipmunk
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing