Subaru Outback Forums banner

1581 - 1595 of 1595 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am planning on having the JDM Bilstein spring and strut combo, on my 2008 Outback 2.5i Limited non turbo, installed by a local shop. I am looking for a knowledgeable shop in the California SF Bay Area to do the install. Do folks have recommendations, as these are not the typical KYB setup most shops are accustomed to?

Thanks much for any help!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am planning on having the JDM Bilstein spring and strut combo, on my 2008 Outback 2.5i Limited non turbo, installed by a local shop. I am looking for a knowledgeable shop in the California SF Bay Area to do the install. Do folks have recommendations, as these are not the typical KYB setup most shops are accustomed to?

In terms of the install, there is nothing really different about the Bilstein setup than any other set of struts. Any mechanic should be able to do it. Just make sure you get all the parts required: JDM rear strut mounts, front Spec.b strut mounts, etc. There are a few posts on here, including one I wrote, that details that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking at purchasing Monroe Quick Strut Complete Strut Assembly and they are showing two different part numbers - one for auto transmission and one for manual transmission. I was under the impression that there is no difference between the auto and manual trans?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I wanna try and confirm something. If I get koni yellows all the way around, and overcompress the stock springs, that will drop the front like half an inch, and the rear about an inch and a half?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
24 Posts
I poked around here and on the web. Can't really find the answer (other than people saying it is not bad at all). How do I remove a rear sway bar from underneath the car? I have rear end links removed and a bar is disconnected from the car. I can move it around, up and down but I can't figure out how to get it out of there. Like a freaking unsolvable puzzle. Exahust and suspension elements are in the way. Any ideas how to deal with it?

huge thanks!

·
Registered
576 Posts
I poked around here and on the web. Can't really find the answer (other than people saying it is not bad at all). How do I remove a rear sway bar from underneath the car? I have rear end links removed and a bar is disconnected from the car. I can move it around, up and down but I can't figure out how to get it out of there. Like a freaking unsolvable puzzle. Exahust and suspension elements are in the way. Any ideas how to deal with it?

huge thanks!
Jack the car up as far as you can, put it on jackstands, remove the rear tires and then wiggle and move it around and it will come out. I was able to do it like that, it just takes some time and moving it around in the right combination of moves.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Question (at the risk of getting flamed if answered before and I can't find): Just got my '09 Outback XT back from engine builder with all new forged internals and Cobb Tune (wife didn't check oil...you know the rest but gave me excuse to upgrade). Will run it this way for awhile until engine broken in and then take to next level. In the interim, I need to do the suspension (93k on chassis). Planning on Japanese Bilstein. Question is 5056 or 5058. From Japan Parts are the respective spring rates:

BTS5056J spring rate F: 3.0kgf/mm, R: 4.6kgf/mm
BTS5088J spring rate F: 3.4kgf/mm, R: 5.0kgf/mm

So front is roughly 13% stiffer and rear is 8.7% stiffer. While i like the idea of the stiffer springs, but I cannot find out how much lower the 5058 setup is. It is stated as 30mm lower (1.2") but lower than what? The 5056 setup? If so, is that lower than US stock ride height (and by how much)? Would love to hear from anyone actually running either set up.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
21 Posts

Did you ever end up doing this install? I was looking at the JDM Bilstein combo but it seems it's for Legacies. Not looking to drop the Outback (although I know the jdm OB is 1" shorter than USDM).

How's the height on it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
is anyone that still is active able to suggest me to some catback or muffler delete exhausts for my 2.5L NA 07 outback my stock ones or rusted and coming apart and I would like to have some sound. also is it possible to fit an xt catback with my NA engine and have minimal to no bad effects with doing that. one last question muffler shops are able to make a type of flange to connect a 2.5 inch up pipe to a 3 inch downpipe?

·
Registered
169 Posts
is anyone that still is active able to suggest me to some catback or muffler delete exhausts for my 2.5L NA 07 outback my stock ones or rusted and coming apart and I would like to have some sound. also is it possible to fit an xt catback with my NA engine and have minimal to no bad effects with doing that. one last question muffler shops are able to make a type of flange to connect a 2.5 inch up pipe to a 3 inch downpipe?
Not the right thread for this, you can make a new thread asking. Probably will get more help. But your best bet is to just have a muffler shop do deletes, usually run about $100. Your car wont use a down or up pipe, that's turbo specific. Axle backs from an xt will fit. I dont believe the cat back will. But I'm pretty sure the mufflers are all the same, even if it's an 3.0, 2.5na, 2.5t.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Not the right thread for this, you can make a new thread asking. Probably will get more help. But your best bet is to just have a muffler shop do deletes, usually run about $100. Your car wont use a down or up pipe, that's turbo specific. Axle backs from an xt will fit. I dont believe the cat back will. But I'm pretty sure the mufflers are all the same, even if it's an 3.0, 2.5na, 2.5t.
Agreed. Go to a local muffler shop. Have them build you something.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,594
Wow I created this thread almost 9 years ago and it has almost a half a million views! I'm humbled by all the responses and contributions from folks clearly more knowledgeable than myself.

Code:
I still have my 2005 Outback that inspired all of this and I have one more contribution that may compliment suspension updates: make sure to maintain your engine/transmission bushings too. As I've come to realize, the engine/transmission is really a structural member of the chassis and when the bushings go bad, your handling and performance suffers. So treat everything as a system.

Last year I got tdck's CKE SSP automatic transmission insert and it made a noticeable difference.

This week I installed a Whiteline W92832 insert kit for the upper engine pitch-stop torque-arm mount located under the windshield area. Although Whiteline only lists this kit for the Impreza, I bought it anyway and it fits our beloved Outbacks! If you have delayed throttle response, or odd behavior when going on and off throttle in the middle of a corner, this kit can help. I found that it does increase engine noise a little bit but not enough for family members to notice.

tldr:
To improve throttle response and minimize the likelihood of engine jostling upsetting the suspension when cornering and getting on and off throttle, get the Whiteline W92832 kit - It works on 2000-2009 Outback even though it is only listed for Impreza.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nameless Performance makes some nice stainless steel muffler deletes with a few options (full straight pipe deletes, or with either a 4" or 5" silencer). Kinda spendy, but definitely look like quality pieces. I agree with the others in that I don't believe the cat-back from an XT will fit. However, it appears that the mid-pipe from a 2015+ WRX may fit. I have one that came off of a friend's 2017 WRX (I installed a Invidia 3" cat-back for him) and it looks almost identical to my '09 OBW 2.5i's mid pipe...just a slightly larger diameter, and without the resonator. The flanges to the mufflers are also slightly different, but one of these days i'm gonna see if I can fit it onto my car...

1581 - 1595 of 1595 Posts
About this Discussion
1.6K Replies
238 Participants
atchipmunk
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing