Subaru Outback Forums banner

1601 - 1601 of 1601 Posts

·
Registered
JDM 2008 BP 9 Outback 2.5i Limited
54 Posts
Today, I replaced both lower control arms on my JDM Gen 3, hoping to fix a persistent “clunk” from under the floorpan. I was certain it had to be a rear LCA bush, but after fitting two new Mevotech alloy arms, with AVO poly bushes (0.5 caster control in the rear), new Mevotech TTX ball joints, AVO end links and new poly sway bar bushes, the **** clunk is still there.

Lots of people have posted how-tos on this, so I won’t repeat it all here, but I thought I’d add a couple of my experiences today: someone said the job should take three hours. It took me all day, but I spent a lot of time cleaning tectyl off various parts.

As everyone else has noted, getting the old ball joints out is a right PITA... I disconnected the arm from the two bush mounts, but left it connected to the ball joint. I removed the pinch bolt, drowned the bolt-hole in PB Blaster, then drove a cold chisel into the split, but not so far as to bind the ball joint. Then I took a club hammer and drift to the control arm. The cold chisel needed re-setting into the split periodically, but the ball joints came out with a little violence.

I was a bit nervous about adding caster, as I run 225/55/17s, and I worried they might rub on full lock at the front of the wheel well. I needn’t have fretted, but there probably won’t be room for snow chains in there now.

It might be the new part effect, but it does feel like the car is more willing to turn in now. Early days, but I think the bump steer is gone. The NVH from the poly bushes IS noticeable.

I hope this helps anyone else considering this mod.

1601 - 1601 of 1601 Posts