Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've gone to 2 dealerships in Eastern Mass. now and both appear unwilling to budge on the top of the line car's sticker price. What experiences have others encountered? Fully loaded comes in at $34,000. I've was told that if I wanted to "work" the sticker price, it would have to be on a 2004 model!

Please Advise,
Potsy999

SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outback Limited 2.5L - 100,000+ miles
Unfortunately at the present, it is the dealer's perogative to name whatever price they see fit for this car. It is only because they have just been released, they can justify not budging on the price as its a brand new model which is in low supply with high demand. Sorry Potsy but if you want the car you'll have to either pay the (ridiculous) price they're asking or find another dealer you're willing to go to that may go lower on the pricing. Best thing to do is wait IMO. I honestly cannot wait to be sitting behind the wheel of a Garnet XT that I can own although it would be unreasonable for me to even consider buying one before Subaru puts some good incentives (~2.9% APR) on them ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Release timing issue

Thinking more about it I believe you're right in that it's a release timing issue. In fact, each of the 2 dealers only had one car on the lot. Surprisingly though, neither emphasized the supply point. They each quoted a one month lead time on orders. I'll have to talk it over with my wife. She doesn't have to worry about driving in the snow for at least 5 months!

Thanks,
Potsy999

Anytime you need help or advice, I'm just the guy to come to as I'm a former new car salesman. I'll be glad to do whatever I can :)

Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
Hero Boots said:
Anytime you need help or advice, I'm just the guy to come to as I'm a former new car salesman. I'll be glad to do whatever I can :)
What marque did you sell?

I seem to have visions of selling Subarus, or rather, guiding people to which would be the right model for them.
What do you think?

SubieFinn said:

What marque did you sell?

I seem to have visions of selling Subarus, or rather, guiding people to which would be the right model for them.
What do you think?
I worked at a Pontiac-GMC-Olds-Buick-Caddy dealer and then at a Dodge-Chrysler-Jeep dealer.

I've been interested in selling Subarus although I'd actually like to get into management with them if they'd ever let me.

Registered
'05 3.0 R LLBean
What experiences have others encountered?

Our trusted upstate NY dealer provides their discount prices as well as MSRP on their website. If I did the math right, they are discounting the VDC $2,655 U.S. off of list. Click on the link below to confirm, compare, add options, etc.

http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com/prices.html

Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
Hmmm...I'm not sure how they can cut prices that low. The VDC on our lot, without any of the options that are added at the place they go after assembly, is $33,395. Retail markup in the 05's has gone down from 04 as well. The prices they are quoting for the 05's could be possible with the 04 rebates, but otherwise, it appears that they would be operating at a loss.

Operating at a loss doesn't work. In the car biz, we call numbers like that "smoke and mirrors".

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the ammo

Thanks for the info souhrada! My wife and I are going out for shopping Round 2 tomorrow (Saturday). I will let you know how we make out!

Registered
'05 3.0 R LLBean
--------------------------------------------------------------------
originally posted by Luke Monroe

Hmmm...I'm not sure how they can cut prices that low.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure how they do it either, but they do. I just purchased the 3.0 R LLBean edition for the price they have quoted on their website. The only additional costs that were added on to the sales contract were:
- local sales tax (NY State - ouch!!...not sure how they handle out of state residents, but assume it is waived, and then collected when registered at local DMV))
- $10 NY State Inspection fee (probably waived for out of state residents)
- $45 dealer cost for title, registration, etc.
- $12.50 NY State required "Tire management and recycling fee"
That's it, nothing else added on. Period.

They claim they are the largest Subaru dealer in the nation, so they must do it on volume. Here's more on her dealership --> http://www.vanbortelsubaru.com/bio.html

I purchased my 1st Subura from them in 1998 and they operated the same way then as they do today. I ordered the car with no deposit, no money down. Paid my first $ when I picked it up. The one I purchased last week I bought from the same salesperson that was there in 1998. Very professional, no pressure, no B.S.

Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
Cool, another Rochestarian enters the fray!

Van Bortel *IS* the largest Subaru dealer in the nation, based on units sold I believe. And anyone who lives in this area can vouch for the fact that you see an endless stream of Subaru's everywhere you go, it's like a parade.

They try to liken their buying experience to ordering from a menu at a restaurant, what you see is what you get. A $29,000 Subaru will cost you just that, $29,000, no hidden charges, no extra fees. Just like a $3.50 cheeseburger will cost you $3.50.

The reason their prices are so much lower than other dealers is because they sell so many cars, and the reason they sell so many cars is because Rochester/Monroe County is one of the snowiest in the country.
Kitty has been in business for a LONG time and she has definitely figured out the perfect selling strategy, not to mention she lucked out with opening a Subaru dealer in this area.

Friendly Subaru Dealer, ,
That would make sense then. With incentives from Subaru for the salesmen and likely a flat commission on sales, they could do it and still be profitable.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Pending Deal Struck

We cut a deal on Saturday for a 2005 3.0 VDC Outback, fully loaded, with a dog guard thrown in for $32,500. This is down from a sticker of $33,999 including freight/delivery. I'm not sure if it's the best the could have been gotten, but I felt I gave it a good effort. Delivery is the end of this week. I'll keep folks posted.

FMGreen said:
Van Bortel *IS* the largest Subaru dealer in the nation, based on units sold I believe. And anyone who lives in this area can vouch for the fact that you see an endless stream of Subaru's everywhere you go, it's like a parade.
Van Bortel has the highest amount of sales of any Subaru dealer, the actual largest dealer though is Heuberger Subaru in Colorado Springs, CO (or so I've been told by many).

Luke_Monroe said:
Operating at a loss doesn't work. In the car biz, we call numbers like that "smoke and mirrors".
Another term we used in the industry was *cough* bullbutter *cough* or another more colorful variant of the word :p

1 - 14 of 14 Posts