Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i just bought a 2005 outback 3.0r with 214k. The 3.0 lifted sedan has been my unicorn for the better part of a decade, even more so once i discovered the sound the 3.0R makes. Sadly i discovered this one needs a headgasket on my drive home. I'm considering different avenues, and came across a 2008 legacy 3.0R parts car with 100k that im hoping to net for around $1000.
Ideally i would like to swap the engine and the transmission. But idk about compatibility, ill be getting the whole car so i can swap the rear differential in case ratios are a problem. But after doing some reading im not sure if its electronically compatible. My 05 doesnt have the Si-drive like the newer models just to start, but ive been reading that the 05 has differences from even the 06-07 and even the 08-09 is different.

So in simpler terms, Can I swap an 08 5eat into an 05 MY 5eat car? Given that i will have access to a matching diff, and potentially any other parts needed. What i want to know is if my TCU/ECU/harness is compatible? If needed, can i use the TCU from the newer car without having to rewire the entire car to match?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I know that the manufacturer is different, and the electronics are different I believe as well. As far as I know, you have to use an 05-06 I think. Maybe you can swap the tcu and be fine, I am unsure. You won't need to swap the diff as all the 5eats had the same ratio. Also I believe the 05-06 are the only ones you can do a valve body mod with. Send Hexmods a message and ask them, I know they deal with the transmissions a lot.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I read there are some differences in ratios depending on region and if your model is a gt, or a 3.0, or ran bigger tires, and thats what im used to seeing with manuals and gear ratios. I need to figure out if its electronically compatible with my 2005 TCU or if there's something easy i can do to make it work like swapping out the other TCU from the 2008.

I sent hexmods a pm before i created this post, but still havent gotten a reply.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Also ill have the whole car if I do this so i could add in the si drive knob or whatever, but i imagine that would probably require changing the harness and all the computers.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
@SwitchPWN is correct on the count of it's 05-06 only. However, not all 5EATs have the same FD ratio.

As for the Si-Drive, it's much more than a knob and wiring switch. It's also integrated into the BIU, ECU, and cluster. You cannot, essentially, just plug-in the TCU and use a newer trans.

It's better off sold as a good trans, usually worth a couple hundred dollars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im just trying to put my money to the best use. I can get an engine for 1000, or for 1500 i can get an entire car from which i could use the motor transmission interior and in this case the body panels for another car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hehe, yes i have just done the mistake of not making sure, replaced my transmission in my yard and cant get past 3rd gear :) i have a 3.0R sedan (transmission year 2004) i bought a new transmission from ebay advertised to fit my car, and then when it came i saw the ID on it was different, it belong's to an 2006 outback, so far i have discovered that the final drive ratios for outback and turbo GT are 3.272, and 3.0R sedan is 3.027. so i swapped the differentials (front+rear) and problem remains (p0715) and cant go past 3rd. id say get your'e exact year. since i cant find any other difference's and my car is stuck on my jack stands while im trying to figure it out :)
Cheers! Good Luck!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Also ill have the whole car if I do this so i could add in the si drive knob or whatever, but i imagine that would probably require changing the harness and all the computers.
Do it! Swap everything! Do it!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's too much work. I've found another potential parts car candidate, this time its the right year, only problem is its a wagon and i wont be able to use the rear seats or the body panels for my other car. Im still waiting for thw auction to go live, if it hasnt done so by the time my raptors arrive, im just gonna spring for a jdm motor and call it a day. Maybe later ill have my auto rebuilt and get the upgraded valvebody.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
5 Participants
Andrewski The Booski
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing