Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'05 2.5i H4 4-Speed Auto w/Sportshift
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is in the proper forum, feel free to move it if not.

Our OBW with 2.5 4 cylinder and four speed auto with sportshift seems fine. I had the fluid replaced at 50,000 miles or so and again just replaced the automatic fluid at 120,000 miles to Valvoline full synthetic Dexron VI which is supposedly backwards-compatible with the recommended Dexron III.

I hardly use the sportshift feature. I recall when the car was newer, as I would bump down the gears, no matter what speed I was at, if I was going too fast for the gear selected, it would not bump down into that gear, no problems.

Well, after using the car with the new trans fluid, the trans runs fine, sportshift seems to run fine with all but ONE PROBLEM, if I am going, say, 50 MPH and bump it down to first, it WILL GO INTO 1st gear, locking up the wheels, revving the engine, etc. I did it one time and if someone would have been behind me, they would have plowed into me for sure. It banged so hard, it is a wonder I didn't break something!

So, I have no problems not using the sportshift feature, however I wonder if this is an indication of maybe just one small component failure, like a solenoid or something is it something more serious? As I say, otherwise, the trans runs just like new!

·
Registered
18,168 Posts
The Owners Manual has information on shift limits (around pages 7-22 and 23 for my 07). To go down to 1st, the car should be below 34 mph.

It's not likely a solenoid or something similar in the transmission. When the sportshift is used, it's not changing anything mechanical -- it's only signalling the driver's "request" to the TCM. The TCM then controls the shifting, in part based on the vehicle speed, and should be preventing a shift down to 1st at the higher speed.

Changing the fluid should not have had any effect on the electronic control. I very much doubt the two are related. Perhaps you happened to check the sportshift after changing the fluid but it might have done the same just before the change.

Did you do any other work since the previous time the sportshift responded properly, especially something like disconnecting the battery? I'm wondering if the TCM software has become corrupted.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
plain OM,
Yes, I did actually disconnect the battery for the better part of a month while I was replacing the right front axle, all the struts, all the fluids, etc.

I have not read the manual since we bought the car, you are right, that I should read it again.

I am thinking that, when the car was new, it did not drop into first, however, as you state, maybe I wasn't going over 34 to begin with back then, and all worked fine. I realize with a manual transmission, I suppose you can put the stick into any gear at any speed (with enough force to get the synchros going), then pop the clutch and do the same thing I did with the automatic.

I shall re-read the manual.
I also notified my wife not to drop into first at higher speeds!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just refreshed my memory by re-reading the manual.

It does state the maximum speeds for each gear that one should not be exceeding when going to a lower gear in Sportshift mode.

So, a little common sense can go a long way, not going all the way down to 1st gear at 60 MPH!:confused::gasp:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts