Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Y'all. Long time lurker first time poster. I have a 2005 2.5i with the 5spd manual. 200k miles on it.

I have only had this car for a few months. After a recent road outing I noticed a wa wa wah scrape/gear noise. Thought maybe it was a wheel hub or tire because scrape noise was dependent on speed (neither gear nor clutch in/out changed it). Lifted all four tires and now certain it is coming from the transmission and/or drive shaft.

In the video you can see a bit of wobble to the drive shaft, the sound seems related. After I pulled the e-brake the transfer case had a bit of a roaring gear sound.

I changed the transmission fluid when I bought it and noticed a fair amount of gray sludge. The fluid is now pretty dirty already after 1500mi or so. The guy I bought it from did the head gaskets himself and then decided he wanted an SUV. I know they did a bit of a sloppy job (wrong bolt holding in starter) and I fear they screwed something up or found an issue and just threw it back together.

Any thoughts on this? I am going to try to find a transmission shop in Portland Or to see what they think but COVID and Tgiving might make that hard.

Thanks for the help,
Brian

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,456 Posts
The manual transmissions have a viscous coupler for the center differential. Setting the park brake and letting it run stops the rear driveshaft from turning and will overheat the differential coupler. Don't do that unless you want to replace the center differential.

The noise sounds like a bad u-joint as a possibility. Could also be inside the transmission itself. If you can fashion a stethoscope and run it along the transmission case front to back and top to bottom in different places you would hear the noise through you stethoscope. This includes the center diff.

Given that the oil in the trans got "dirty" in short time, there is a possibility of bearing and bushing wear, maybe gears, land the metal from the wear is changing the color of the oil. The center diff is closed off from the oil in the transmission so that rules that out as creating the "dirty oil".

The 5 speed tends to lose 3rd more often than any other gear. Are you having any issues with going in or coming out of 3rd?

How close is the heat shield to the driveshaft? I can't tell in the video, but it looks as though it's not rubbing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the heads up on the center diff. I won't do that again.

I don't have any problems with 3rd, but 1st is occasionally harder than expected to get into. Also no heat shield contact that I can find.

When the brake was set you could still hear the wah wah sort of noise in the gear sound which is a bit concerning.

Any tips on where to find a rebuilt transmission?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you @cardoc. I haven't been able to lift off all 4 wheels again to listen to the transmission closer. need to get another set of jack stands and a friend's concrete pad so it isn't as sketchy.

I did look closer at the axle. No play in either U joint or the center carrier bearing. Also couldn't feel any play at the back output of the transmission.

Both CV axles have a little bit of wiggle axially in and out of the transmission ~1/16" and a bit of wiggle side to side.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,456 Posts
All the u-joints I've seen with Subarus has been stiffening. They dry out and won't pivot. Makes for vibration and sometimes a squeaking noise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The transmission is the TY757VCABA which is proving impossible to find. Are there other option codes that would fit my EJ253? Lots of transmissions for the EJ204 out there with the same 4.11 ratio.
Like this one:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah. there are a number for ~$600 but they are 150K+ miles no clue on condition and would need shipping. One is rebuilt for $1,500 but no details yet from the wrecker on what model or gear ratio.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts