Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading forums for hours. All seem contradictory. What short block will swap with a 2005 Baja turbo. Automatic trans.

·
Super Moderator
9,571 Posts
If you're buying a new block it's my understanding the EJ257 is better than the EJ255 that was in the Baja from the factory.

Not an expert on Turbo Subaru though.
@traildogck @bhazard know more about them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm looking for a used block. What are the differences in a JDM block? I swapped my 08 Outback motor for a JDM and it was just intake and wiring harness I think.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
I sent LiBeRty a reply, but I'll post here for reference as well:

There are MANY ways to get it done. Generally, I like to split the list into two categories: "direct replacement" or "needs modifications". And from there, there's varying degrees of fitment, from plug-and-play to basic short blocks. Luckily, your 05 Baja has quite a few good "drop-in" options.

Drop-in:

Plug-and-play, complete engine (no parts swapping, manifold changes, etc)
04-05 Baja Turbo
04-05 Forester XT

Long block (you swap your intake manifold+harness, exhaust manifold, turbo, etc. Heads and block only)
04-06 Baja Turbo (2006 *)
04-06 Forester XT (2006 *)
05-06 Legacy GT *
05-06 Outback XT *
06 WRX *
04-07 STI *

* Camshaft profiles are different. Car will start and run fine, but a retune or camshaft swap would be optimal.

Short block (pistons, rods, crank case only)(New EJ257 short blocks are still available from Subaru)

04-06 Baja Turbo
04-13 Forester XT
05-09 Legacy GT
05-09 Outback XT
06-14 WRX
04-18 STI

Note about 08-14 WRX, 07-09 LGT/OBXT, and 08-19 STI: You can use the long block, but you will need to delete the secondary air injection system. Some blanking plates are required, but that's about it. A retune is still required due to different camshaft profiles.

Now, if you want to get exotic, there are a few options:

JDM EJ205 (with AVCS)
JDM EJ20X/EJ20Y (Quad AVCS)
Stroked EJ205 (2.1L)

These would require varying levels of wiring, mechanical, or parts changing to replace your EJ255. The closest/easiest would be the JDM EJ205 as the AVCS system is compatible with your current setup, plus the extra compression ratio provides some better off-boost torque than the standard 205. But the biggest advantage is the JDM 205 is about half the cost of a replacement 255. Food for thought.

Hope this helps! If you've got other questions or thoughts, happy to hear them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts