Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey there folks!

I purchased my 2005 Outback about 3 months ago, and on the second day of ownership, I realized a clutch swap was in order. There's no strange noises or anything, but if I give the car more than 50 percent throttle in most gears, the engine just revs and revs. Classic used up clutch. I'm pretty comfortable working with cars, but mostly Jeeps and trucks, so I'm not used to following things like exact torque specs lol. I've already done a number of things to the car, and I gotta tell you, I am in love with this thing. I totally get it why people drive these cars to the moon. That being said, I have never done a clutch replacement on any vehicle before, but have done things like engine/axel swaps before. I have purchased the Haynes manual and watched several videos on the Pull-the-trans-back method as I will be working in a garage with no lift and no engine hoist. I feel confident that I can do this with the help of a buddy of mine.

I plan on replacing the Clutch, Pressure Plate, and Flywheel with all Exedy parts. I've done a fair amount of reading on this forum and it seems like Exedy is the brand to go with. I'm a broke college kid, and I'm not up to paying OEM prices for those. I plan on replacing the TOB with a genuine Subaru part from a local dealership. I have not noticed any issues with the TOB (noise, chattering when the clutch is depressed), but have heard bad things about if it just fails and figured while it's all open, I might as well.

Now, the Amazon part finder is telling me the wrong part to put in my car. After reading the Exedy catalog, I'm inclined to believe THIS is the correct flywheel for my 2005 Outback Limited 2.5i:
EXEDY FWSBL02FF Replacement Flywheel
(had to remove link, because first post)

I will be pairing it with THIS clutch kit:
EXEDY KSB04 OEM Replacement Clutch Kit
(had to remove link, because first post)

Am I doing this right? does this appear to be the right combo in parts? Any odds or ends I should consider taking a look at? Let me know!

My plan is over the course of a few days around the holidays to knock this out in the comfort of a heated garage. First snow of the season up in New Jersey, and man, I am looking forward to driving this thing with a proper clutch!

Token Car Photo:

Thanks!

·
Registered
2005 2.5i Limited 5MT California & 2016 base 2.5i
663 Posts
On the exedy website you have to put in 2005 Legacy instead of 2005 Outback. KSb04 is correct and
FWSBL02FF is also the part # I have for my 2005 in my amazon shopping list. Plan on replacing pilot bearing and throwout bearing, both easy to do , and both come with KSB04 kit. If you wanted to you could resurface old flywheel likely to save money.

I've only removed engine once and never removed the trans, but it seems almost like removing motor is easier (??) than removing the transmission to get to the clutch - maybe...

Sorry about weird font size.

·
Registered
2003 OBW 2.5L 4EAT
856 Posts
Rather than installing a standard replacement throw-out bearing, I'd recommend installing an oversized throw-out bearing with a sleeve kit over the transmission input shaft snout. The snout is prone to gouging and grooving since the bearing rides directly on the aluminum. PDM TranQuil makes these kits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts