Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife's 2005 Outback Wagon with the 2.5 engine - not turbo or anything fancy - has developed a knock. She told me about it today. Sure enough, she had let the oil dwindle to just about nothing.

She called me to tell me it was making a bad noise and that the oil light had blinked on, then off. I had her stop the car.

I put almost 4 quarts in to bring it up to full and started it. I immediately heard a clatter or a knock in the engine. I'm assuming a bearing noise on the low end. I drove the car a bit lightly and the engine was still smooth. When I pushed it to 50mph there was no knocking. When I took my foot off the gas pedal there was a light knock for a few seconds.

I'm sure there is engine damage but how much? The engine has 115,000 miles and has been a great car all around. If I'm lucky and it just needs low-end bearings what approximate cost (in Vermont) am I looking at? Or what does anyone suggest? Help! Thanks.

·
Registered
14,354 Posts
When I took my foot off the gas pedal there was a light knock for a few seconds.
That's a clincher for a burnt rod bearing. The engine won't last much longer in its current state. You can almost certainly rebuild though. A good used engine swap may be a better deal. Good luck!

·
Registered
7,355 Posts
Bearing is toast, and will go through the block. I would get a used engine and make it a habit of once a week checking fluid levels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
3 Participants
calelettus
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing