Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 OB L.L. Bean (3.0 H6)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Literally as I pulled into my driveway after 60 miles of highway driving, my 2005 L.L. Bean died. Managed to start it again with no power steering and the battery light on and park it properly... You know where this is going. When I popped the hood, I mercifully found that the belt hadn't shredded, and the tensioner pulley was sitting innocently out of the way (with a lot of crunched metal in the bearings). Now, given that I can't find the bolt that holds the pulley to the tensioner assembly (did manage to fish out the nut from the back side) and that I see what looks like some... traumatic wear around where the bolt would fit through, I'm leaning toward replacing the whole assembly. Should I bite the bullet on the $115 OEM replacement, look at aftermarket, or attempt to pull from a junkyard? Or would simply finding an appropriate bolt and a new pulley be the way to go? Any insight is greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
8,551 Posts
Well, if it's got to fail someplace, I guess you picked the right place to have it fail!

Sounds like the bearing seized, so the bolt is likely toast anyway. Don't bother looking for it other than making sure it isn't going to be found in a tire later on after you're gotten yourself repaired.

I'd opt to find some junkyard parts, if they haven't suffered the same fate.

·
Registered
2005 OB L.L. Bean (3.0 H6)
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, the dealership actually had the assembly in stock, so I opted for the OEM part. Managed to extract the old one and get the new part on- one of the bolts is fairly visible, but the other was almost blind, even with the air snorkel and radiator hose out of the way. Either way, the deed is done. I'm saving the belt replacement for tomorrow, but as long as I haven't royally screwed the pooch, I should be back in business!

Edit: All's well that ends well!

·
Registered
2012 Subaru Outback 3.6r
7 Posts
Well, the dealership actually had the assembly in stock, so I opted for the OEM part. Managed to extract the old one and get the new part on- one of the bolts is fairly visible, but the other was almost blind, even with the air snorkel and radiator hose out of the way. Either way, the deed is done. I'm saving the belt replacement for tomorrow, but as long as I haven't royally screwed the pooch, I should be back in business!

Edit: All's well that ends well!
Are they 14mm bolts that hold the tensioner onto the block? Going to be replacing the whole tensioner assembly and a new idler pulley as well. Any help is appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts