Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to do the headgasket on my 2005 2.5, is there a decent DIY guide out there? I did one on a 99rs of mine so I know the 2.5, is this 2005 engine similar to the 99? Will I need to pull the cams as well? The car has not overheated, should I get the heads resurfaced?

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
i don't know of any guides but if you did one already you can do another. remove all the bits and reinstall - that's about it.

use EJ25 ***turbo*** headgaskets, they don't leak like the non-turbo gaskets.

YES - always resurface these heads, they always have high/low spots. No need to test them, the non-turbo heads are never out of spec. Just resurface them and you're golden. since you're doing it yourself, just resurface the heads yourself as well, it's really easy actually with a little legwork...since you've done one HG...are doing another...then you might do one later and having this on hand might be a good fit anyway for more than just this job:

DIY Head Resurfacing... or "Post-apocalyptic machine shop techniques!" - Old Gen.: 80's GL/DL/XT/Loyales... - Ultimate Subaru Message Board

If you do this -you'll notice the high/low spots yourself and be glad you resurfaced.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great, that guide looks pretty good, I have done similar for dirtbike heads but never thought about it for a larger heads. I will get the metal gasket. With 120k should I replace the tensioner, water pump, and pullies if they all look tight?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts